Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sent money to pay for course in UK - proof of payment given by BOI but payee won't accept

Options
  • 10-03-2023 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to pay for a course in UK since early Jan. The payee's bank is an online bank with, from reading the reviews, a poor reputation - CashPlus. I paid the deposit for the course in Jan by Bank Transfer from BOI. Their bank said they didn't know who it belonged to and returned it to me after 28 days, but only after the payee getting involved. I then paid the whole amount last week 400stg, to avoid hassle. BOI gave me the BIC and IBAN calculator for the account no in the UK, and also the address for the Bank which tallied with the account no and sort code. I put the money in on 3rd March, it's still apparently not there today in the payee's account, but the proof of payment slip that I got from BOI says it is clearly gone from my account and has been sent to the payee's account where I sent the money. The payee is saying they can't hold my place on the course. I need to do it for CPD. BOI is saying it's the payee's bank which is at fault for not processing the payment correctly. What are my rights in this situation? I have clearly proven that I have paid the money for the course, and I need to do the course for my CPD. BOI said I can recall the money but it could take 28 to 40 days depending on the efficiency of their bank, but I do really need to do this course now. Is it not the payee's issue, once I have given proof of payment, to sort things out with their bank.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties, but I must point out you do not have proof of payment all you have is proof that the money left your account and that is not the same thing and I would be surprised that any vendor would accept it - since the money has not reached the vendor's account it will most likely be sent back or as you pointed out you could recall it, either way the vendor could be out of pocket so that argument is not going to fly with them.

At the end of the day it is your responsibility to ensure that the fee is actually paid not just that you instructed your bank to make the payment, if you want to attend the course. Can the vendor provide you with another means for making the payment - credit card perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Did the payee provide you with similar information in the link below for receipt of transfers into their account? Natwest would be the bank you are sending the money onto and Natwest credit the funds into an IBAN for Cashplus bank

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sounds like something we used to do in the 80s/90s when processing funds for the USA...

Advertisement