Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick sanity check before I purchase a 24 port switch

Options
  • 10-03-2023 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I'm about to buy a TP Link SG2428P. It's a 24 port switch with "L2+" features, that seems to cover all the bases I need at home.

• Power to 2x APs and a few POE devices (cameras etc)
    • Enough ports for my needs (16 CAT6 runs + extra devices in rack)
    • Looks to support VLANs for segmenting traffic on different ports into different VLANs
    • Supports Omada, I already have a TP Link AP, so might be nice to manage both in the same interface

Is there anything else from other brands I should be looking at or anything I'm missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I don't have any experience with switches so can't offer any advise but am similarly in the market for a 24 port switch. That one looks good and quite reasonable with POE+ included. I've been concentrating my efforts on the Ubiquity range as likely going with their APs and the distant possibility of maybe their Dream Machine router. I got notification at the weekend that their USW-24-EU switch is finally back in stock after many months so will likely go with that. That switch at €262 is all unpowered which mostly suits my needs, I have an NVR with POE for security cameras already so will go with a POE injector for the initial AP and see if that suffices or if a second is required. The next level switch with POE included is the USW-24-PoE-EU which has 16 ports with POE and 8 without but it's considerably more expensive at €442. It's a pity they don't do a switch with maybe 6 or 8 POE ports and the rest unpowered. Besides cameras and access points I'm struggling to think what else might require POE in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

I agree with you actually. I don't need 24 POE ports at all either, so I'm still tossing around maybe just getting another POE switch (already have a 4 port POE) and just going with an unpowered option. But for the sake a few euro, having it all in one box is pretty appealing.

Advertisement