Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stick with Niro (pay it off) or upgrade to EV6?

  • 10-03-2023 10:01am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭


    I've loved the Niro, no issues with it, is in perfect condition. My PCP concludes in 2 months, I can either pay it off and own it outright or I could get an EV6 (Earth) (assume for a moment there's stock). The monthly cost of the EV6 is higher than it would be to pay off the PCP but could afford it. My question is whether you think it's worth it? That is - it seems like a better car from YouTube etc but the Niro's good too (2021 version with nicer screen than earlier models).

    Or, even if it is worth it, would it be better to pay off the Niro, wait until next year and sell it, getting myself more cash to towards the EV6 and bring down the cost significantly next year?



Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz


    id be inclined to sell private and then take advantage of the 5K grant while there if you can ..



  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭eltoastero


    I mean this probably won't help you a lot: but it's really up to you if the €x per month for the next Y years is worth it.

    I'm probably bias towards an EV6 because I have one, I didn't consider an eNiro (is it an eNiro or a fossil Niro?) so I won't start making comparisons between the two. The EV6 is a great car and does everything very well, very few complaints. So I could probably talk you into it.

    For the extra cost, do you need the (slightly) bigger car? Will you even get more range from the EV6 (from what I've read the eNiro is pretty efficient, even with a 64kWh battery it can nearly match the EV6 for range)? Do you really need the faster charging (most don't and there's very few times when you'll get the full 200kW+ charging power anyway)? Do you really need the (arguably) cooler car?

    Assuming you do want all those things, my personal way to do it would be to pay off the Niro, own it, and immediately sell it privately. I expect the final balloon payment on the PCP is less than what the Niro is worth on the open market (so more towards your EV6). Even trading in the Niro (that you own) should give you more negotiating power in a dealership than if you're just jumping to a new PCP deal (as in theory you could sell the Niro privately and walk in with a wad of cash to a dealer).

    There are a couple of EV6's on carzone/donedeal now, so if you don't mind getting in a 1 year old car you've got options (personally, I'd be fine with a year old EV6 as there's still 6 years of the 7 year warranty). Otherwise I assume your plan is to get on the waiting list for an EV6 for next year (but try multiple dealers, don't just take your own dealers wait time as the only option).



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭kanuseeme


    Keep in mind the Tesla price drop, its going to shake things up a bit on new car purchases and more so on 2nd hand prices across all makes.



  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy


    That's really good advice, thank you. I think I'll keep the car so, you're right, it's a great EV and even I want a new one, I could get more bang for my buck by selling next year



  • Registered Users Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin


    I'm in a slightly similar spot, PCP on my ID.4 is up next year and I need to figure out what to do


    It basically comes down to use savings and a small loan to keep the car, or sell it and get something else (possibly an EV6 Earth spec)

    The main issue with keeping it is that the car hasn't deprecated much since I bought it, but who knows how long that will last. If I keep it longer, say another 3 years until 2027 then it'll lose a lot of value and there is an opportunity cost

    On the other hand, the EV6 Earth spec is a worse spec than the ID.4 that I have, and I don't particularly want to spend the money for the GT line. So while I gain the V2L and 800V charging, and generally a better interior, I lose the 360 camera and adaptive headlights


    Plus there's a good chance the Earth spec will go up in price next year, so I'll be getting a lower spec for more money 😬

    Anyway, bit of a ramble, just trying to figure out the best approach. Luckily I've a year to figure things out

    "The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT


    I’ve had both the E Niro and now Ev6. I do a Cork City to Rathfarnham Dublin run once or twice a month .

    they have almost the same range in my experience as the e niro is more efficient.

    The EV6 charges faster , in sumner at least ,

    in winter there isn’t a huge difference , at IONITY anyway, though I haven’t the battery heating upgrade yet .

    there is more space in the back for kids seats etc but this may not matter to you .

    boot is a bit bigger in EV6 but you can lower the boot floor in the e Niro too.


    everything about the EV6 is a nice upgrade to be fair .


    if you will be fast charging on motorways it might be worth upgrading , though they are getting increasingly busy


    if you won’t then it’s a tougher call .



  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy


    Thanks Tollot, that's good to hear. I go to Dublin at least once, maybe twice a week, thankfully can manage without stopping to charge. Saw that petrol station on the Naas road, coming out Dublin, the one that has a Burger King has some charge points coming so that's handy though just in case



Advertisement