Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance over age 80

Options
  • 09-03-2023 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Struggling to get a company to even provide a quote for someone over 80 travelling to the US. His health insurance is with VHI but they will only insure a trip of 5 days max.

Any suggestions of where to go? It’s for a fit and well 85 year old that’s well capable of travelling but the trip won’t happen without insurance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

VHI's website mentions 17 days..

Have a look on Age Action's website, they have a list of insurers for seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes got that list yesterday but even at that there’s only a few on the list that cover over 80 and in the USA. He has high blood pressure but it’s never caused problems and rgars the only tablet he takes but still seen as a pre existing condition

AA insurance at €200 for 2 weeks looking our best option

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

Hi @Gael23

Can I please ask where you landed on this topic afterwards?

My Mum (80) has always used VHI Multitrip, but they've advised that they won't cover her this year for a trip to the US... She's going for 3+ weeks.

Thanks in advance for your help!

@cillchainnigh we got it with Laya Travel but it was €450 per person. He’s over 85 though which added another complication. Does she have pro set health Insurance? Suggest you check age action too, they had some useful links. You also have to call them , you can’t do it online. He unfortunately had to cancel the trip and claim and now due to declining health he won’t be able to make that journey any more

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

Hi @Gael23 - apologies for the delay in replying; I just saw this now.

I don't follow the question re "pro set" health insurance? She has health insurance with VHI forever...

I'll look into Laya Travel and the Age Action options also. Thanks!

• Advertisement

I do remember trying to get my Mum covered… impossible. No company would cover to US.

Advertisement