Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro-environmental attitudes vs. habit in our daily travel behaviour

Options
  • 09-03-2023 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Everyone,

I am currently completing a Master's Degree in Environmental Science.

As part of my dissertation, I want to investigate the role of pro-environmental attitudes versus habit in our daily commute to work or college (+18 y.o) in Ireland.

In order to investigate this topic, I have created a questionnaire on Microsoft Forms, to be completed anonymously, to collect data on general environmental attitudes and behaviour, transport attitudes and behaviour, AND habit strength.

If you are interested in taking part, please follow the link to complete the questionnaire - https://forms.office.com/r/8Ch9c4v14b

I’ve had the questionnaire tested by friends and family and on average it takes about 8 minutes to complete.

No information that could be used to identify individuals will be requested, and all data will be used for the sole purpose of my dissertation.

If you have any questions about this survey or would like any further information, please comment below and I will respond.

Many Thanks,

Robin

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Howdy,

Thanks for sharing the survey. It looks interesting.

Small reminder of this thread's policy on student surveys: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057716596/attention-students#latest

Commuting is certainly a hot topic these days: https://www.irishtimes.com/transport/2023/03/08/free-public-transport-would-mean-just-1-reduction-in-car-travel-says-report/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Robin_K

Thanks Macha,

I have read the policy now.

My research aim is to determine whether environmental attitudes or habit are a stronger determinant in our daily commute.

My methods are positivistic in nature, and I'm hoping to get a large enough sample of environmentally concerned adults (who commute) through this thread for quantitative analysis.

I'm happy to discuss methodologies, aims & objectives further if people have any questions about the research.

Kind Regards,

Robin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Do they have to be living in Ireland?

I'm always curious how much it's attitudes that determine our behaviour or if it's sometimes the other way around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i haven't commuted in over three years so i suspect there would be no point in filling it out.

just reading it though - not sure if this wording is deliberate? it's a bit vague; my employer, for example, would claim to be an environmentally friendly organisation, but they're a large multinational, so maybe not the intended interpretation?

"I have worked or volunteered for an environmentally friendly organization"

Hi Macha,

Yes, I am looking for individuals living in Ireland for my research.

It's a really interesting topic and I'm enjoying researching it. I always thought that our attitudes dictated what we did but from looking at recent research it seems that our attitudes are often shaped by our actions instead.

• Advertisement

Hi Magicbastader,

Thanks for your feedback, it's a very good point and I will update the question to make it less vague.

My intention was to ask if people had volunteered/worked for environmentally focused organizations like Friends of the Earth or Greenpeace rather than companies that have implemented environmentally friendly practices or initiatives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, might be worth rephrasing it as 'environmental NGO/non-profit/volunteer group' or similar?

Advertisement