Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some help Identifying this bird

Options
  • 08-03-2023 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Recognise this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭lucalux

Female kestrel would be my guess, but no expert

Common enough, they're the ones that hover to hunt, amazing to see.

Thought it was a sparrowhawk at first glance, but still lean more towards female sprawk

Distribution map is on there

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭indy_man

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭indy_man

Do you know if they are rare of even endangered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yes it's a Kestrel. They used to be extremely common but numbers have been in sharp decline in the last 10 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭lucalux

Hadn't realised there was such a decline. Have just read that they were added to the red list recently. Probably because I would see them fairly often.

Such a shame if the numbers continue to drop, they're stunning birds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yea, I used to see them daily in North Co, Dublin, now, I'm lucky if I see one once a year. I often wonder if the increase in Buzzards and Red Kites has anything to do with it but they say not. I'd see Buzzards now several times a day and Kites maybe once or twice a month.

Advertisement