Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insured handymen!

Options
  • 08-03-2023 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Have a small enough job needing doing involving a high ladder :D Trying local handymen but anytime I ask if they’re insured, hear nothing back! Why is it so hard to find someone insured? Are any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

last year i had a guy who had recently set up his own company to branch out on his own, having worked for another company himself- he was legitimate, came recommended and indeed, his work was top notch (patio design and development)- charged VAT etc, payments made electronically into his account but no, he didn't have insurance either. And that surprised me. Everything worked out ok but what if it didn't? I'm the one that will be out of pocket.

It's only when the sh1t goes down, that householders realise they're in for a rough time with increased insurance premiums if some total doh has an accident on your property and starts claiming on that policy.

Personally I wouldn't entertain anyone doing high risk jobs without insurance anymore, after allowing a few lads in to clear some small hedges and trees a few years ago- the risks they took were insane - as I said in LC pass Irish exam many years ago, Bhi mo chroai in me olde bheal. :D

It's probably down to a few things-

1. Cost
    2. casual labour and cash in hand- may not qualify for insurance with such work
    3. Education on the whole subject (ignorance in other words)
    4. The fact that they can fall back on calling on the householders insurance policy as a 3rd party- "like sher why would you bother with your own insurance when you can claim on theirs" - kindof attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Because the customer looking to verify insurance (and willing to pay the premium) are very rare for 'handiman' type work.

Most of these are price driven, paid in cash transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I might try and electrician. I’ve been meaning to get a quote for a number of jobs so he could do this job while quoting for the others. Someone safe registered I’m sure would do!

Advertisement