Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disclosing illegal drug use to doctor

Options
  • 08-03-2023 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Is this a wise idea? I don't mean in a hospital context where someone is going for treatment but simply discussing this with a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist. Anecdotally, I know a few friends who discussed smoking a joint or taking cocaine with their GP and were denied effective pain relief because the doctor wrote in their chart that they were a 'drug abuse'. My cousin with ADHD learned that never received stimulant meds as a teenager even with a diagnosis because his own mother admitted to the psych that she had a problem with alcohol in the past and they were afraid she might steal his meds.

It seems commonplace among doctors not to distinguish between drug use and abuse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

my own doc asked me upfront if i smoked weed, in an ideal world, we should be able to discuss such matters with our health care providers, without prejudice or judgment, but thats not our reality......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If a doctor is judging you for that then you need a new doctor. They can't provide proper care without knowing what they are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It may put them in a hard place professionally and legally? If they know that you are doing something illegal? and/or something that is potentially harmful to you? Not a question of judgement. If you died and they had to give evidence at an inquest? There may be a lot more to it than " prejudice and judgment." And yes, he needs to know as it may affect how you are treated. Medically. Not as a prejudice.

Advertisement