Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recycling used oil

Options
  • 08-03-2023 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Where can I recycle about 10 litres of used oil. My local recycle centre in athlone only takes 1 litre at a time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Try your local garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

That's nuts, how do they police it? Who would just have 1 litre, any oil change would have a min of 3 litres and likely more. My recycling centre in Coolmine, D15 has no limit which is only right. I brought about 20 litres there last summer along with a boot load of other stuff for €8. They had a big square drum for engine oil so they just asked that I pour my 5 litre containers into that and leave the empties in a separate skip. Small yard but has most of what you'd need with separate areas for paint, oil, electrics, plasterboard, timber, steel etc.

Guess you'll have to try a garage but can't see them being very accommodating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My local recycling place takes as much as you want, I think technically they say 1l but that's to stop commercial recycling of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

What happens to it when it leaves the recycling centre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Flush it down the toilet.

No seriously, bring it to local recycling center, if they are sticklers for 1L, just put it in 500ml coke bottles, and walk in 10 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Im guessing its put on a boat and accidentally falls off when out at sea...may aswell just go to local play area at night and pour it on the slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I bring 20 litres at a time to the recycling centre every 2 months but most of it goes to a fella with a waste oil burner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

They do be watching. They do have a big tank to recycle the oil, so I don't get why it is only 1 litre at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

Drive up to Roscommon and drop it there. €4.50 a ticket (I think) and as much oil as you carry in the.boot you can recycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I used to collect used oil from restaurants and takeaways. It was sent to the UK for bio diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

Advertisement