Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tinsofpeas

Ah yes, the great gender wording crisis that gets worse every year, the monumental gender wording crisis eviction ban, the increasing amount of people living in tents due to the epic gender wording crisis, the growing number of people on trolleys in hospital corridors because of it, the list goes on and on.

This is what I expect from governments, tackling the real issues affecting vast multi-generational swathes of the country right here and now.

What's next, a referendum on Fair City re-runs, more or less? Chocolate milk, too choclatey? The ficking Pepsi challenge?

Meanwhile 120k extra people into the country last year versus a sketchy 30k homes built, in a decade long spiralling housing crisis. Maybe we can have a say on that trite issue after the important stuff? If the government can fit it in to their busy schedule of complete and utter horseshyt, pretty please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,754 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So we’ve gone from four Labour members, to three members of a different forum, one of whom is actually a Shinner. Not exactly deep throat conspiracy material.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭growleaves

The Dáil is already a "citizens assembly." The CA is just a mechanism for elected TDs to give their own constituents the run-around by diverting responsibility for introducing new legislation onto to a group of randoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭donaghs

I think someone needs to setup a separate thread on the CA. So far they may have met the criteria for what they we setup for, e.g. "random" selection. But they seem ripe for abuse. Without strict oversight from "impartial" sources, they seem to have great potential to by-pass the democratic process. Many of the people on boards.ie cheering them on, I think would have very different ideas on them if their actions were leading to decisions they disagreed with.

You can imagine them being eagerly adopted in quasi-democracies of varying degrees like Zimbabwe or Putin's Russia. They can help reach the decision you want, all through a "legitimate" process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I've never heard anyone describe themselves as "woke", but people who would call themselves "anti-woke" do so all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,754 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The CA don’t introduce legislation. They have no legislative power.

They make a report to the Oireachtas, and the legislators take it from there.

This makes it much easier for a woman to claim benefits and she still has the OPTION/CHOICE to go out and work if she wishes to. 

Other than maternity benefit, what social welfare payments are gender specific to women? Because I can't think of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I didn't say that benefits were gender specific. I said it is much easier for women to claim benefits. I hope that clears it up for you.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭growleaves

I didn't say they did. The responsibility though is partly parcelled out to them.

"We're introducing this legislation cuz the CA told us to"

How is it easier for women to claim benefits? Be specific.

• Advertisement

Women and children first.

Women will be looked after before men. That's not exactly news.

Stay Free

That doesn't answer the question I asked you. So in other words, you don't have an answer. Fair enough.

FWIW - access to social welfare benefits in this country is not gender specific, and its not "easier" for women to claim benefits off the back of some clause in the Constitution.

The Constitution does not guarantee any woman the right to stay at home out of choice or economic necessity, and it never did. Look up what the word "endeavour" means.

I'll be voting to amend to gender neutral language (subject to whatever the actual wording is). My two cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The runaround suggests a delay or obfuscation. In reality, the CA brought forward a referendum on gay marriage years or decades before the politicians would have done it.

It's just a nice quirk in the Irish form of democracy. It takes things out of the politicians hands. They're beholden to old people because they hate most reliably in general elections. But old people don't represent the people in the way the last few referendums have.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭US3

Is this literally a referendum to see how woke we are ? Can some one name one thing this will change in a normal citizens life ?

The constitution of our country will be in line with reality. That's pretty important to anyone who takes the constitution seriously.

But it's also an opportunity for people to virtue signal how unwoke (asleep?) they are. You get something out of it too...

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

Gender Equality is selective equality for the female gender disguised as equality for all. It promotes discrimination against the male gender when genders are equal. Women pushed into roles in the public and private sector which are not based on merit. It’s based on Gender

These bodies pushing gender equality don’t seem to be pushing female gender equality in Physical Labour Jobs.

They also don’t seem to be pushing for Gender equality for males in the crèche or primary school roles.

How Gender Equality and Gender Diversity is sold is gone to the dogs.

One of the reasons I heard is it should be voted no as it shows women have the most important job and therfore instead of getting rid should campaign for a wage for it. I don't think Catholic religion will be going against it. Well mainstream ones

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The constitution of our country will be in line with reality.

In line with whose reality though? The above statement on its own without any actual explanation of what was asked for, is entirely ambiguous. It can mean anything, because everyone has their own version of reality based upon their perception, and each and every person considers their version of reality of the utmost importance.

I mean, I know what’s being claimed by people that it will change, but nobody can be more specific than what’s already been claimed it will change, because nobody’s seen the wording yet, nor whatever legislation will be introduced off the back of the referendum being passed. It won’t change the fact that for example 98% of people working in the home are women, and it’s unlikely legislation will be introduced which would have housework regarded as employment for the purposes of receiving a payment from the State in recognition of their contribution to Irish society without which the common good cannot be achieved.

I'd imagine the catholics will not be in favour of it. But probably won't be as opposed to it as they were to gay marriage, for example. They'll be asked about it for certain (not sure how relevant they are nowadays but they'll still be asked about it).

The likes of Iona institute and John Waters will be all over it. Warning us of the breakdown of the fabric of society if the bill is passed - just like they did with gay marriage.

I wonder if John Waters is actually too much of a headbanger to get coverage this time. After all the 5G conspiracy theory stuff and similar guff grom the last few years, I wonder he's spent all his journalistic capital and whether broadcasters will touch him this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I don't know if a woman's place is in the home, but we've certainly lost something as a society when we started allowing our children to be raised by strangers in creches and childcare. (nothing against childcare btw)

Not that some random wording in the constitution really matters a great deal to this anyway, as it's more about societal trends and rampant consumerism that drives these choices.

I wouldn't be so certain that you are thinking about future generations. Because that would entail much deeper considerations than some BS referendum or fears about a fantasy army of misogynists looking to take over society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Can't understand why we need this referendum.

We already have equality legislation

I for one will be voting no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Whose version of reality? We already have a group of people who say they are the opposite of what they are genetically and who shout at the rest of society who have a different reality based on science rather then feeling.

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

It’s simply not a Gender Equality Referendum as it’s not adding anything in relation to Gender Equality to the constitution .

They should simply add this to the General Election voting to remove the following text or Articles from the constitution.

If they Headline this as a Gender Equality referendum I will vote no.

If they simply add this to the General Election ballot to remove text or Article then I will vote yes.

You must have WOKE up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

You're either very sheltered, or deluded if you really believe it's not easier for women to avail of benefits. This made easier when they present as in need of housing with a child or 8. Jump the decades long queue if enough sob stories are shared with the local TD. It's not just welfare and housing, its a given that women are given preferential treatment in the family and the criminal courts.

Im ok with gender neutral language being applied to the Constitution. However, the current wording has been claimed as useless to women by supporters of those who want it changed, including yourself in the quoted post. So, why spend huge sums of money when the change of wording will do nothing but appease the woke? It's about equality they say. Equality my hole!

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 32,330 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah who knows...but David Quinn looks to be a no...he is always a no in any referendum (marriage equality, divorce, repeal the 8th)...

No, actually - more like someone who has more knowledge and experience on the workings of the social welfare system, then you obviously do.

You were asked a specific question, couldn't provide an answer, so instead went off on a little rant, conflating social welfare, housing, family law, etc, all with gender equality and amending the wording of the Constitution which was written long before we had either.

And throws a passive aggressive "WOKE" into it for good measure. Haven't you heard of Godwins 2nd law yet?

Enough said. I can already see what way the debate on this referendum is going to go. Irrelevancies and inaccuracies spouted as "facts". It will be like the 8th Amendment all over again.

Life is too short. I'm out.

I wouldn't describe him as mainstream but that's just me.

It did gay and lesbian couple could not marry before it. And no a civil partnership is different as heterosexual couple can het them also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,330 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My initial response was will it be the usual no people and he is a usual no person.

He gets plenty of exposure, column in a paper, TV appearances as well. Kind of mainstream.

Advertisement