Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best dog's dry food in Ireland and the UK.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Anawilliam850

Both Nice N Natural and Patron appear to use high-quality ingredients, but it ultimately depends on your dog's preferences and needs. It may be worth trying out the Patron brand and seeing if your dog likes it. However, it's important to transition gradually from one food to another to avoid digestive upset.

In terms of other options, there are many reputable brands available in Ireland and the UK, such as Royal Canin, Hill's Science Diet, and Orijen. Again, it's important to consult with your veterinarian to determine the best option for your individual dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You don’t have to feed dry? There’s other options - raw / wet / frozen cooked. (Also I’ve never consulted with my vet on food apart from when one of my dogs was terminally ill.. and it wasn’t about dry food)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Max H

a useful site with loads of info

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Max H

is also popular with people i train with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭apache

What do most people feed here? Just wondering what you think is the best in regards all round nutrients?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭delboythedub

One half Raw food diet ( minced beef /lamb minced carrots ,celery , spinach , apple egg and shell) plus half dry food. I will cut down the % of dried food later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,880 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lily's kitchen works for our french bulldog been on it since he was a pup and now a very healthy 6yo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭apache

Good to know. I think I just adopted a dog this morning! I've dog sat her for years and she's a great dog. I am going to give it a weeks trial. Big responsibility!

She's about 10. I was over in Maxi Zoo this morning and was asking their advice. Her previous owner would have just had her on the cheapest food. They recommended James Wellbeloved senior. I'll probably introduce it slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭unimaginativeusername

Congrats on the new arrival!

I've read and posted on so many threads about dog food on here and have done as best as I can with research online. I would eventually like to go the raw route but will start with dry (when I collect pup end of next week!).

I think I've settled on types and brands for now but given there are SO many threads are about the best dog food options, what I'd really love is what to actually look for when checking out different brands so that I can decipher for myself what's good/bad and what's worth the price tag.

What should you be looking out for (or trying to avoid) on the ingredients list? What ratios are important? I know seeing protein "derivatives" are a bit of a red flag but if anyone has anything to share, I'm all ears. Hopefully then I can avoid another post in 6 months time asking the same questions!! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Hooked

Have both my huskies (now 12 and 9) on half raw - half kibble (morning feeds).

I buy online from ZooPlus and would recommend "Markus Muhle NaturNah" -

2 x 15KG bags come in at 96 ish euro... which is about the cost of ONE bag of store bought 'branded' stuff!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭pauly58

We feed our lad on totally raw; chicken necks, chicken wings, chicken drumsticks, minced beef, minced pork, stewing beef, lamb, raw egg, greek yoghurt. He gets a mix of proteins & at two is lean & hard muscled with a great shine on his coat.

We buy a lot of reduced meat at Dunnes, usually half price. I don't believe any of the cooked processed foods are good for a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

If you are going on dry/moist food , I can recommend platinum dog food ,

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0982/platinum-adult-lamb-and-rice

my golden retriever is in great condition on it and output is solid with very little "gaseous output" , they also do a wet food which is great quality ,

comes in 5kg vacuum sealed bags which keeps it fresher for longer

The Markus Muhle looks very interesting and a better price than the cold pressed brand I was considering.

MM don’t seem to do a puppy specific product in the NaturNah range but a note on their website says puppies can be weaned on it from 3.5 weeks old.

What do people think about that? Is there any actual difference in ingredients/ratios between adult and puppy food or is it just daily serving size that matters?

Just adding to this. The NaturNah range doesn't seem to have a puppy option but there is a Black Angus Junior product. Also cold pressed and reasonably priced and reviews seem great for it so I think for me personally that might be a current frontrunner in dry food options.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My puppy quite liked the MM Black Angus Jr. We tried to move her on to Lukullus adult for a change and she hated it. We've moved to Leader Sensitive Large breed now because we needed something we could buy locally, and she loves it. We're also considering the Go Native range (which she LOVES) but I'm just really hesitant about commiting to grain free food just in case there's more evidence to come that supports the possible links between grain free and dilated cardiomyopathy :/.

Had my younger Husky on it from the start (softened with hot water). He's 9 now... My how the time flies!!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

That grain free myth has been debunked many many times as has been mentioned before. There’s probably more articles to debunk and disprove it than there is to suggest there’s a link at this stage.. My own vet sells Go Native and there’s no way she’d sell it if there was the slightest chance of there being a link.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Can you link to a meta-analysis or systematic review that conclusively answers the question of whether there’s a link or not? I’ve reviewed a lot of literature myself and it seems to be inconclusive as yet, and littered with poor quality research and research with clear bias (eg funded by pet food manufacturers). I’d love it if I could read high quality, peer reviewed analysis of the data that supports the link being completely debunked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭mobby

I also feed my dog MM as a morning feed and approved raw in the evening, he is also a 6-year-old Cavalier, who loves his food never been sick once in 6 years, lovely coat, the perfect weight, and is full of energy, I would highly recommend MM if feeding dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Gormal

Perhaps it's more the kibble size that might be the issue. I for one struggled finding one small enough. I have a 5 kg, 10 year old with a sensitive tum. I've tried pretty much all the brands, some the kibble was too big and others he wouldn't look at sideways (the dog local pound and SPCA were glad of the food). I look for gluten free or grain free, basically no cereals. (he was so sick because of it)

Canagan small breed and Carnilove small breed are small kibble which my dog loves, I soften them a little now he's older. I throw in a topper of meat or fish (little bribery). He also gets some of our dinner when it's suitable.

Other brands are Nadur, (not tried) Wellness Core (didn't agree with him, USA brand), Go Native (small bag was great, but bigger bag = bigger kibble), Royal Canin (made him sick all the time), Burns (he likes, but I thought it overpriced for all it is), Gain Kindness and Platinum (kibble too big for him), and SEVEN he wouldn't touch.

He didn't take to wet food and my budget doesn't allow for artisan foods like Oscars farm and Butternut box.

Whatever you switch to, get a sample bag and do it gradually over a week

Advertisement