Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning light for submersible

Options
  • 07-03-2023 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a submersible pump on the outflow from my septic tank and i put a light bulb on the returning cable so that when the pump is working the light bulb should come on. I wanted a warning light if the pump runs continuously due to a malfunction. However when i set it up the light bulb came on even though the submersible pump had not .

Any ideas? Thanks

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yeah, that would have worked better with older pumps where there wasn't electronic circuitry and a multitude of caps on the output to leak current even in a faulted state. Plus, it's parasitic/in-series with the pump, so the failure of the bulb would have caused the pump to fail.

This might to be an option, I see them on Amazon:

Other circuits are available, but the complexity increases.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Show us a diagram of how you wired the light across the pump? What wattage was the light and did you have other components in the circuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

How would you setup that alarm ?

The domestic and commercial units i worked on were the opposite setup .

Alarms for overfill

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ghugh

Hi and thanks for the replies. Here is a rough diagram for the Titan submersible pump wiring. If the switch remains on due to malfunction I don't want to burn out the motor.

With this wiring the bulb was on even though the submersible pump was not working.

Sorry for amateur drawing.

The units with float switches(commercial anyhow) a common issue was solids weighting down the float switches so they didn't bring on the pump

The alarms that I seen for domestic and commercial were for the tanks being full

I suppose there's a chance alright that a pump might run continuously

• Advertisement

I was looking at those but the turn-on point is too high for those pumps

The domestic treatment units are usually wired direct from the consumer unit

It might be possible to fit something in-line there anyway

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ghugh

Thanks Kirk and 10-10-20, the pump is in a buried barrel on the outflow from the septic tank (so no solids). Just thought it would be an interesting exercise for a retiree with an amateur interest in these things. Will check out the remote current indicator in local electric wholesalers.

Check if it's wired independently from the board anyhow , they usually are the modern units

That's probably more convenient for monitoring than outside

Advertisement