Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying car, seller abroad

Options
  • 07-03-2023 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a car but the seller says he's abroad and left the car with the logbook at a dealer friend to make the sell for him. I'd need to go there first to see the car.

I haven't bought a car in IE before, should I be suspicious of anything here?

How should I proceed? I intend to buy by bank transfer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Kurooi

You would certainly want to make sure there is a real dealership you've involved in, brick and mortar place you can call on.

And establish the person you're dealing with is the real owner of the car.

There is a little cross over there with a very common scam in Ireland, British businessman either selling a car or letting an apartment, too busy to look after proper channels and paperwork. Sends of photos of (stolen) passport. I would want to make sure before I transfer anything that I have a name and an Irish address to give to the Gardai if that car doesn't turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cristianc

The car is at a dealership, but not sold by the dealership. Owner is abroad and left the car at a friend who works at the dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

I wouldn’t worry too much if they are meeting you at the dealership to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cristianc

But can a sale be made if the owner is not in the country and his dealer friend has the logbook?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

seller will need to sign th ownership transfer papers.

Car could be stolen so I would check with AGS first

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

My guess its the dealers way of selling a trade in without having to give a warranty, I wouldn't bother with it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

Yes, I’ve sold multiple cars that are not registered to me.

If the seller has the logbook then its extremely unlikely that the car is stolen. Especially if it’s being sold from a business premises and the person selling is willing to produce ID etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

CAB closed a gaff outside Nenagh which was doing this andl other stuff, fake id's passports etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement