Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I self employed if I only receive pension and rent?

Options
  • 06-03-2023 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Backstory: I'm in my 60s and I took early retirement in the UK where I spent all my working life, and I moved back to Ireland last year.

I'm trying to register for self assessment, and I messaged the Revenue asking how to proceed. The Revenue say I need a NACE code for my "main source of self-employed income". But I'm not actually employed, even by myself. My main income is from a company pension. The closest NACE code I can find is 6530 but that appears to be for people in the pensions industry, and I am not in the pensions industry.

I also get some rental income from my house in England, but I don't actually do any work for that (I pay an agent for that).

So should I just declare that I'm employed in the pensions industry, or is there a different NACE code I should use?

Or should I be proceeding in a totally different way, such as not even using a NACE code?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Why are you trying to register for self-assessment?

Self-assessment is for self-employed people, which you are not.

It is also for people with non-PAYE income of 5k net / 30k gross.

Q.1 I am a PAYE worker with other income. Do I need to register for Self Assessment Income Tax?

a) If the non-PAYE income exceeds €5,000 you must register for the Self Assessment Income Tax system and submit an Income Tax Form 11.

b) If the income doesn’t exceed the threshold you can submit an Income Tax Form 12 which is the form normally used by PAYE earners.

Q.2 Which tax form do I complete – a Self Assessment Income Tax Form 11 or an Income Tax Form 12?

a) The Income Tax Form 12 is for PAYE individuals with additional income under €5,000.

b) The Self Assessment Income Tax Form 11 is for individuals registered for the Self Assessment tax system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Deleted.

Post edited by Louche Lad on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The OP clearly states that s/he has foreign rental income.

Registration is appropriate.

OP, your main source of self-employment income is rent. The fact that you sub-contract the hands on work to an agent is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement