Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dulblin pirate station (I think), playing 80s music, around 2004-2005

Options
  • 05-03-2023 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭

Bit obscure, but I know that there are a lot of people who have worked in radio on this forum, perhaps some of whom were involved:

There used be a pirate radio station broadcasting in Dublin around 2004-2005, playing 80s music. No presenters, but I'm pretty sure that the station had a professional ident. Whatever way the playlist was programmed, some songs were played fairly frequently, two of which (which I heard for the first time on this station) were 'Radio Africa' by the Latin Quarter, and 'I Won't Let You Down' by Ph. D.

It may have been around 105 FM on the dial(?) but I might be misremembering this detail.

Is this jogging anyone's memories?

Comments

Sun FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

duplicate post.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheBMG

The two I’d remember were Sun 80s on 101.3 (which I think left the air in 2003?) and Real 80s on 88.1 which was later in about 2010-12?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Sun 80s came back on the air after the 'Black Tuesday ' raids in 2003 so it's possibly or Gem FM whose transmitter was co located with Suns.Gem was on 96FM iirc.

Based on the songs named it's 101.3 Sun FM

• Registered Users Posts: 15 80s

Gem F.M. would have played those songs also but was more of an oldies mix not just an 80s station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Sounds like Sun alright -thanks for the quick responses, and for scratching this particular itch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Sun FM did have some presenters but was largely automated. It was a successor to C101.3 and ran from about 2001/2002 until 2005. Garv Rigby was one of the guys behind it, but he left it during 2004 to get involved with temporary licensed Premier FM. That was probably where he first met Paul Shephard and Walter Hegarty, two of its principals. The three of them and fellow Premier presenter Daragh O'Sullivan, aka Steven Davitt, went on to form Christmas FM.

Advertisement