Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel Balancing and weights

• 05-03-2023 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if anybody can enlighten me on weights used when balancing wheels?

I got 2 new tyres on front of car a few weeks ago and noticed a slight vibration in the car when driving at 80kmph + (not through the steering wheel but in the front area of the car)

I had a look at the weights on the 2 front wheels and there’s a different amount of weight on each wheel.

should they both have the same weight on each wheel?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭mk7r

No, they are balanced individually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

Why is that though if both wheels are the same with new tyres just fitted.

Would both wheels be different weights before balancing?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Because the wheels may not be perfectly round and the tyres would have heavier spots due to the way they are manufactured.

As an aside it sounds like they need rebalancing though.

Thanks for that.

Good to know.

Im going back to tyre shop tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What brand tyre are they? It's not unheard of for cheap unknonw branded tyres to cause that too.

Post edited by bazz26 on

• Advertisement

Davanti. I’ve been using them previously on A6 and have found them excellent.

I’m going to get tyre shop to recheck balancing and if it’s okay I’ll ask them to replace tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Brand should not affect the balancing or the ability to balance them. Some alloy wheels due to the design make them a bit more difficult to balance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭standardg60

Did you check the nuts were tight?

Yip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Shouldn’t but sometimes it does, saw it first hand, cheap tyres on new wheels wouldn’t balance. Switched to a premium brand and they balanced with minimal weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Buffman

That probably comes down to if the manufacturer bothered to mark the tyres with yellow(lightest point) or red (highest point) dots for the fitter to be able to line them up appropriately and make them as 'naturally' ballanced as possible. (light point of tyre opposite heavy point of wheel (valve) or high point of tyre opposite low point of wheel)

If the tyre's not marked, it's pot luck when fitting and if unlucky can end up way off balance and need a lot of adjustments.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

I've had a buckled alloy causing vibration before. The tyre fitter just added a ton of weight so it read as "balanced" on his machine, but the car still vibrated when driving. The reputable place I took it to afterward saw the buckle immediately and advised me (for free) to fix it.

The wheel should still be round, the vibration of a wheel (without tyre) would be more to do with how it cooled in a mould and became more or less dense in parts.

Advertisement