Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new job isn't what I thought it would be - what can I do?

Options
  • 04-03-2023 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, I work as an entry level Clerical officer in the public sector. I moved to a new post a few months ago and I'm in an office doing admin work to support about five others. I have barely seen or heard from my line manager since I started and not a lot was explained to me since I began. Basically I don't know who I'm answerable to? I know my jobs but different colleagues in my office expect different things from me and one wants it done this way and another done a different way etc. All of them have questioned me about my hours even though I am contracted to do a set amount of hours per week and come in and leave at the same time regardless if they are working on as my line manager said once you do your X amount of hours that's all I care...now I don't know do they have a say in when I come in or go as they come in earlier and often leave later but aren't obviously on the same contract (or wages) as me. Do those who work in the office on higher grades than me get a say in what hours I do, what I do or dont do job wise or is it my Line Manager? Should I clear it up with my Line Manager? I don't want to stir things when I'm not long there but I'm genuinely frustrated and confused at this point. I seem to have to answer to everyone in the office but also my Line Manager, it wasn't like this in my last post it was a far more relaxed working environment but this is not at all the same. Advise from any CO's working in the Public Sector please? Or who know the ins and outs of public sector jobs as I'd need an encyclopedia sized manual to understand it.

Post edited by Nody on

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement