Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solis Datalogger : port on inverter is broken

Options
  • 03-03-2023 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Datalogger was losing connection and reset button wasn't working, so I pulled the datalogger out of the inverter (solis hybrid 6kw). But did it too roughly (I didn't realise it had to be screwed out). The green datalogger port on the inverter is now loose, and I must have broken the connections inside the inverter, as the datalogger doesn't show any lights when I plug it in.

Installer say they don't open the inverter (invalidates warranty) and that warranty won't cover this problem, because I unplugged it the wrong way, so the only option is a new inverter, but it's not worth it.

Any other options for getting that fixed, or ways to track usage? I know inverter screen shows usage data, but it's up in the attic. We have an EDDI in hotpress. I think EDDI seems to show whether we are importing or exporting at any one time? That would be useful to know if's a good time to put on a wash etc. but not as good as solis app.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I don't think there is another way of getting data out except that port.

Are you sure the pins inside of the inverter are broken? They are sturdy enough, maybe you only damaged the wifi dongle.

I'd say open up the dongle and see if that's where the damage is and if you can try another dongle, maybe you get lucky and it's just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shoehorn

Thanks for the advice.

The dongle looks fine and it slots into the inverter port's pins no problem. The trouble is the port itself is able to twist freely through 360 degrees, so I'm guessing I snapped it away from its wires on the inside? I think when I remove it, I pulled it at first, and then realised it was a twisty job, but I ended up twisting the entire port around a few times without realising it. made a right hames of it.

I'll try checking the dongle or another dongle.

To check the port, should I get a multi-meter and check for voltage coming through the pins?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nicholasmark

I have exactly same issue. Any update?

No update. I have neither another datalogger nor a multimeter to check where exactly the problem is. I'll get around to it at some point and update.

In the meantime, if we need to know whether we're exporting, we just check EDDI.

Been without the datalogger about a month now and sort of come to terms with not having it. With the obsessive compulsion to keep checking it now gone, it's truly a 'set it and forget it'! Apart from the nice feeling of checking the stats on a sunny day, I don't think we truly needed it, except for checking if it's a good time to put on a load, which the EDDI can tell us. And I'll use the meter to check units used every few months.

The only thing might be missing out on alarms? If there's a serious fault does the inverter itself start beeping I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Never heard it beep when an alarm is on but the alarm LED does turn red.

Update:

I got the lend of a multimeter and the voltage on both pairs of pins is zero. So unfortunately it's the inverter port that has the problem, not the datalogger. I'm told it can't be fixed without replacing the inverter!

I've been using the myenergi app a bit lately. It's blind to my panels and battery, so just shows import/export data. I see a green 'consumed' value which is always zero. Is it possible to get the myenergi app to 'see' the panels and battery? Something about extra CT clamps? If so, how expensive to get that done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

See pic below with the arrow pointing towards connector on the inside of the inverter, it should be a simple fix or simple replacement if you ever get around to opening the inverter. Or perhaps you would not have to open the inverter if you could get the existing plug out and solder in a new plug, I believe this would be the replacement item here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195668989940

Then on the other hand what you have is working and trying to fix may make it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo101

What is the purpose of the white doughnut plastic piece with the wire wrapped around it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It has both live and neutral so likely some sort of earth leakage detector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Shar!

I’m so glad I found this’ I did the same thing with my Datalogger a month ago , absolutely raging cos system is only installed a year . Cannot believe there is not a simple fix for this without as u say replacing the inverter . I may invest in Eddi hub as I only have one Ariel on my Eddi and hope this helps to say get dishwasher and washing machine on .

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ddonq1412

If you open a ticket to solis support they will tell you to open the inverter or get a spark to do it. There is 10 torx25 screws holds the plate. More likely the cable has popped off board. 5 min fix.

Yes! They advised me to open the inverter, but I got stuck at step 1 - shutting off AC and DC supply. I don't know what those switches look like - probably something that would be good to know - any pointers?

"1) First switch off the AC supply of inverter and then switch off the DC supply of inverter."

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ddonq1412

The should be twistable knobs close to inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 __Alex

I encountered a similar situation while troubleshooting a Wifi issue. The datalogger lost power, and to make matters worse, I accidentally broke one of the port pins.

The first thing to do is disconnect and open the inverter very carefully and check for any loose or disconnected components inside. In my case, I found the com cable was disconnected.

I also had to replace the green part. I ordered it here: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/234961826970 and used a soldering iron kit.

This took me 90 minutes.
    I hope this helps!

Advertisement