Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partner made redundant

Options
  • 02-03-2023 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi.

Probably a stupid question, but i will ask anyway.

My partner has been made redundant. She is entitled to a JSB payment as she has the required PRSI paid in.

When she applies online however, they ask for my details also.

Why do they need my details and earnings?

If it was JSA, I would understand it, as JSA is means tested, but what I earn should not affect her JSB application.

Is this normal to ask for this on a JSB application?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glen123

One of the reasons would be in case you are also unemployed but not getting any social welfare payment, your partner would be able to get an increase for you.

Having said that, I've googled the pdf of the paper application form (and it's one form for both JSB and JSA), there on the form it states:

PERSONAL DETAILS about you and your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant: (If you do not wish to claim for a spouse, civil partner or cohabitant you do not need to list his/her details below or complete Section 6 of this form for Jobseeker’s Benefit)

Are there any options in the online form to choose whether you'd like to be assessed for JSA if you don't qualify for JSB? Maybe smth like this got selected as Yes which would trigger your details to become mandatory because of the means test for JSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

They want to means test you to see if she is entitled to make a claim to have you and any children you have added to payment. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Free Speech

Thanks people,

I also noted that the paper form has the option not to include my details but she was informed that the paper application can take anything up to to 8 weeks.

The online version doesn't give the option not to include me.

I am full time employed. Our daughter lives at home, is u23 and works part time.

I was worried that they were going to use mine and my daughters earnings to argue against her JSB.

But it seems more likely as ye suggested that it is just to look at the total allowances available.

Thanks again.

Advertisement