Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiga 600 - Pt.2 - The Finishing Touches

Options
  • 02-03-2023 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭

Following on from my previous Amiga 600 thread, it's time now to give the machine what it's crying out for...some more memory, and a small bump in processing speed. It's more or less directly inspired by RMC's Amiga 600 trash to treasure series, with a slight change in that rather than using the stock 68000 cpu, I chose to try out the Furia 020 accelerator. Mostly because the 020 will just give WHDLoad content that bit more speed, and handily, the quit key will work better too from what I read. So, onwards...

^^ There she is, the oft-maligned Amiga 600. I've come to really like the smaller form factor, it's a lot more desk friendly than its cousins. There's a very very mild touch of yellowing on it, but nowhere near enough to warrant a retrobrighting at this stage.

^^ starting from the top, the new parts/upgrades are:

1) Keelog Amiga PSU (this will also do for my 500, 1200, and obviously this, the 600.)

2) The all important kickrom upgrades, a huge thanks to @Steve X2 as always....can't thank him enough for help with this and many other projects.

3) The 1MB Trapdoor Ram expansion. This combines with the existing 1MB internal chipram, to total 2MB chipram now.

4) The IDE2SD adapter/reader. No explanation needed here, it allows the use of an SD card in place of a hard drive.

5) CF-Flash with SD adapter - this will allow to me transfer files to/from the Amiga once done, without having to open it to access the SD card.

^^ This is the heart of the upgrade, the Furia 020. This replaces the stock 68k cpu, with an 020 variant, and delivers a whopping 9.5MB fast ram upgrade to boot. There's a FPU on the board also, which may/may not come in handy!

^^ A quick power on test shows the Amiga still works thankfully (you never know with retro machines these days!), and also the stick kickstart roms are the antiquated version 2.0 (these are too old to allow to to enjoy large hard drive support, among many other features.)

^^ The Keelog PSU working away nicely too. I bought one of these for my C64, really can't fault them as modern/safe replacements.

^^ Ok, time to get to work. The Amiga 600 opened up here, and ready for surgery.

^^ First thing was to remove the old kickstart roms, and fit the new 3.1 from Steve.

^^ 1MB trapdoor chip ram installed, no problem there. I didn't bother with a board that had a real time clock, because it offers no benefits to games, and really only matters for file attributes like creation dates etc - this will be a games machine, nothing else, so really no need for an RTC.

^^ The IDE2SD adapter added. Again, very simple, nothing to note here.

^^ I wasn't completely happy with how the active side of the board hangs over some metallic parts on the Amiga motherboard, so I removed it, added some Kapton tape as protection incase it ever leans over and shorts, and then fit it all back in.

^^ A quick test at this point, and ClassicWB boots right into the custom 3.1 image with large hdd support. Zero issues. All that's needed next is to add the Furia, and finish this off.

^^ The mighty Furia, sits directly atop the existing 68k with a pressure fit (a fair amount of pressure needed to seat the board down, but it grabs quite tightly once fit.)

Time to test.....aaaaannd....nothing. Black screen. Balls.

Queue hours, actual hours spent tweaking the WB installation, re-doing it, trying this, trying that, buying different brand SD cards, scouring ancient forums for clues....nothing. The Furia flat out refuses to boot in the machine with the SD card inserted. Similarly, the SD card will only boot without the Furia attached. To cut a long story short, I went back to the drawing board, back to WinUAE, and back to Youtube and older forum information.

The path led me to HstWb. A set of scripts that automate the building of an image. I'd decided at this point that kickroms 3.1 wern't going to work for me, so I needed to go with 3.1.4. I fed HstWb all of the bits and pieces it needed, clicked a few buttons, let it do its thing, that and it spat me out an 8GB image. I was able to tweak this to my liking through WinUAE before burning it to SD card. So let's continue from there...

^^ A set of two older 8GB Sandisk SD cards I grabbed on Adverts. I burned the newly generated 8GB image to one of them, and fed it into the Amiga....

^^ Closed up (again), and time to test.

^^ If you boot the machine now with the right mouse button pressed, it brings up the hardware configuration menu. You can see here, I've enabled the Furia card, and saved the config. This reboots the machine....crunch time....will it boot???

^^ Boom, thank the maker. There were weeks between the 3.1 problem and getting it to boot with 3.1.4 (time is limited these days, so this hung over me for a while.) This is the BetterWB desktop, tweaked and cleaned to my liking. I left icons out for the most commonly used tools, hid the rest, and cleaned up the layout, being sure to snapshot it.

You can see above, there's a Boot Menu that pops up for 5 seconds too, which gives shortcut choices to desired programs/features. I've tweaked mine to remove and reorganise it so it's a bit more aesthetically pleasing. It can be disabled too if desired, I chose to leave it though in this case.

^^ A quick test with Amiga Test Kit, shows this Amiga 600 now comfortably surpasses even an Amiga 3000. Nice.

^^ Furiatune, the software to control the Furia card, is automatically installed by HstWB/BetterWB, so no need to manually transfer that over.

^^ Of course, of course....one final sting in the tail. The Ctrl, shift, Alt's, and Amiga keys aren't working. Christ, will I ever finish this project?? I tried cleaning the ribbon connectors, no joy, same result.

^^ Some of the pins within the ribbon, at the connector end, looked very very flakey...there's no way to repair them so I decided to remove a small part of the ribbon, which contained the damaged pins, hoping to bypass them.

^^ It worked! But also no, it didn't. Now none of the Function Keys work. Help key also not working.

Queue some altering of the way the ribbon sits within the machine, and time to try again...

^^ All done. I think I'll go ahead and grab a new membrane next time I'm Amiga shopping, this one seems to be on its last legs. All the opening/closing because of the sd-card/kickstart rom confusion really didn't help either.

^^ The iGame frontend working away perfectly. My only gripe with this frontend is I can't seem to see a way to get it to ignore games that aren't installed (ie, internation language versions as you can see above.)

^^ This frontend is very nice to use, very simple, very lightweight too. You can remove games that aren't installed (so the international versions of Another World won't show in this frontend for example), and you obviously need to disable the music while browsing, then it becomes very very nice to use. This will be my default one.

^^ As well as Demos/Betas, and Games....there's a Magazine feature too. Nice to have as a curio, but that's about it really.

^^ Done and dusted. Lovely little machine to use now, freshly recapped, upgraded, and ready to...go back into its box obviously...what do you think I'm actually going to use it? 😁 I will of course use it, but for the time being it'll go back into the Attic to sleep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

The Boring Bit:

These are the notes I scribbled down while learning HstWB, while generating this image. These are obviously tailored to an Amiga 600 (non AGA), but they may be of use to someone in future...

Download 8GB self install image from HstWB site, and extract to own folder

Transfer the desired Amiga-OS files over to the relevant amigaos folder

Transfer the relevant kickstart files over the kickstart folder

Transfer the relevant Cloanto kickstart files over to userpackages/kickstart roms/kickstart

Use WHDLoadTool to download the required WHDLoad content, which sorts into alphabetical folders etc

Place desired WHDLoad content into relevant userpackages/whdload packs

Once done, run "build_install_entries.cmd"

Run "hstwb_image_setup.cmd" to build the self installing hdf image

This seems to generate "amiga-os-310-" files in the amigaos folder. The installer will default to using these instead of the previously copied 3.1.4 files, so remove them. This also generates a new hstwb-installer uae config file.

Run WinUAE

Load newly generated winuae config file

Load the a500 config file for OCS Amiga's, and the a1200 file for AGA Amiga's

For Amiga 600, change the chipset in WinUAE to Full ECS, and Extra set to 600. Make sure the rom is set to the 3.1.4 rom (46.143). Change the Z2 ram to 8MB (A600)

Start the virtual Amiga through WinUAE

Continue through the prompts

Choose md5+mount

Install 3.1.4 modules for target Amiga

Install the 6 kickstarts when prompted

Enter to reboot to package installation

Choose bettwewb 4.3.0/hstwb 1.2.1, and WHDLoad content depending on target chipset

Start package installation

Start Installation on Launcher window (repeat for Demos, Games & Mags), leave settings as they are

User package Installation:

Amiga Test Kit

Archivers

DirOpus

iGame 2.0

Kickstart roms

Mui

Mui dependencies

Sysinfo

WHDLoad packs

WHDLoad

Default for all cpu choices

Magazines - skip AGA (target is a600)

Games Beta - skip AGA & cd32 (target is a600), skip DE and ES language

Games - skip AGA, cd32 and cdtv (target is a600), skip all but EN language

Games Demos - skip AGA (target a600), skip ES and IT languages

Set WHDLoad quit key as desired, and then enter to restart when prompted.

Create shortcut icons for desired apps like iGame etc (right click, icon, leave out.)

Clean/sort workbench icons as desired, and then select all, right click, icons, and snapshot (you may need to enable read/wright on user packages & kickstart dir in winuae drives menu)

AGS2Games, settings, "update show installed" to remove games not chosen during installation (languages, aga chipset etc.)

Update WHDLoad, download latest version, and place in user packages folder

DirOpus, EXTRACT whdload from USERPACKAGESDIR to Ram drive

Quit DirOpus and double click Ram Disk

Double click WHDLoad to install, proceed with default locations and choices.

WHDLoad will now start/run correctly (out of date version = splash delay disabled, and manual game start required)

WHDLoad.prefs:

CLI-> S:

ED WHDLoad.prefs

Bottom of file

SplashDelay=200

Amiga Boot Menu sort:

DirOpus4 -> S:

Amiga Boot Selector

Rename labels for AGS2Games & AGS2Demos to Games & Demos respectively

Quit DirOpus4

Reboot, and F1 when Boot Menu shows

Edit and sort as desired

Escape to leave and save

Burn 8gb.hdf to sd-card using Win32DiskImager (be sure to clean the card with DiskPart first, just incase)

Boot while holding Right mouse button, hardware, use Furia - yes (if applicable)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Nicely done. When it comes time to get the new keyboard membrane make sure to go for the new hard membrane and save yourself some hassle in the future.

https://sordan.ie/product/712/new-premium-hard-keyboard-membrane-pcb-amiga-600-green--blue/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh man you had me cracking up at the end when your keyboard keys weren't registering. Talk about an 'oh ffs!' moment. 😁

Really inspiring me to get my own Amiga out and see if I can get it up and running. That new PSU you bought looks the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I sold my Amiga 600 and 1200 to a chap on here years ago. I probably should have kept them. I remember buying the 600 new in virgin Mega stores and then going into the Badass cafe for lunch afterwards. Around 1993 ish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement