Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken balance wheel

Options
  • 02-03-2023 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I have a 100 year old pocket watch with a broken balance wheel.

Is this a big deal to get fixed?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

More likely a broken balance staff. The axle of the wheel as it wee. These used to break quite regularly before shock proofing. As for fixing it, this depends on who made your pocketwatch and how common the movement is. Most were made in large enough numbers and like I say it was a common break in the past, so old stock balance staffs are usually easy enough to find on ebay and the like(or a full working movement you can take parts from). Then the cost of a watchmaker fitting it and doing general service. I'd reckon 3-500. If you can put pics up, especially of the movement that would help narrow it down.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

Sent you a DM with details of a contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Hi

I contacted a Dutch guy who was recommended here but he doesn’t do these repairs for foreign customers any more.

Might anyone know of anyone else who might be able to repair this watch?

Advertisement