Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Manager (related) Certs/Courses

Options
  • 02-03-2023 11:02am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my ask isn't specifically IT certification, its more about being a good IT manager. My boss has said that he'll be retiring in the next 4-5 years, and i'd have a good shot at getting his role once he leaves. I know the IT side better then anyone (including my boss), so that area's not an issue. But from a management perspective, i've little to no experience. Its also going to be hard to get actual experience, as there are not really anyone in our area to manage.

So i'd at least like to have some qualifications to back up my application. Anyone have any recommendations on good certs/courses that i could do?

I see a few strategic management courses, and i figure some project management stuff would help as well.

Comments

ITIL Foundation

PMP/Prince2 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭munsterfan2

The prince2 ones are good, how are you with finance, contracts etc. Also tends to be required

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I did some of that back in college (course was IT Management in Carlow), but its been a long time. Definitely can look those up as well.

I've got plenty of time to get some of these courses done, so the more suggestions the better 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You should ask him to start delegating or including you on management tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yep,

This is the best advice and what I would advise also. You appear to have a number of qualifications/certs that would help in that area already - perhaps no harm to be doing one or two (project management etc) to show you are into upskilling and improving, but much better that you start slowly getting the experience that you will need to do this job.

The certs and qualifications are really only part of the package of what you need to do any role, a willingness to take on tasks, and be good with them is key, particularily when you are as close as you are to the post holder already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement