Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a yoke from Serbia

Options
  • 02-03-2023 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been looking at a Zastava in Serbia, it's running and driving and in overall good condition.

I'd be tempted to give driving it back a lash, it would be a serious adventure! I've messaged the seller about possibly hooking up in Budapest as flights for me are easy and it's not a huge distance for him to cover, awaiting word back. My understanding is a sales document as proof of purchase is all I need to be on my merry way, there is minimal info on exporting a car, I dont think a lot of this happens there like in Italy or Spain.

Has anyone on here done it or similar? Thoughts and experiences?

Insurance, I have a classic policy with AXA which if memory serves will cover me for 20-30 days in Europe (hence me also wanting to meet in Budapest) but will AXA offer coverage on a foreign reg on a temporary basis to get home, will they insure it on a chassis number for example?

Transiting the UK, with Brexit is there going to be a heap of hassle using the UK as a land bridge, being Irish, driving a Serbian reg, on Irish insurance and in theory outside the EU, I am seriously contemplating heading for le Harve and taking the long boat to cover the distance and ease on the driving.

Is there anyone who does this drive regularly with a lowloader or similar that looks for back loads, I've googled this and to be honest I've not gotten far, lots offering Spain, Italy, France ect but beyond that is a boggle.

Looking forward to all advice!

FR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

Serbia isn't in the EU as far as I know so you will probably need as much paperwork as you can get. I've done a few trips like this but only in EU countries and some of them have different rules about exporting cars than others. AXA always covered the cars on the VIN or reg plate except in Germany as the export plate covered the trip. As to bringing it through the UK on the road trip home since Brexit I cant answer that as I haven't done it.

Do drive it home as its something you'll always remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that Budapest isn't in Serbia, although having the owner drive it to another country would be one way of helping to ensure it is running. :D

What are you doing for breakdown cover? Will normal policies cover vehicles in the process of being imported?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

W124 and Victor,

Budapest was my plan purely so the car is in the EU so the insurance would kick in. It also for me means, the seller with his ID ect would have to go over the border and speak the lingo..... basically export then would be his problem.....cheeky I know. Also, flights to Serbia are non existent but Aer Shamrock have a few going to Budapest.

Paperwork, hoping a bill of sale and cars paperwork will be enough.

And yes, Budapest would be a test drive or a test of faith for the seller! 😂

Breakdown cover, I think but I need to check that my policy has breakdown assist. I was going to bring some spares with me, ignition parts, plugs, leads, belts, dynamo and possibly if the Fiat version will fit, a water pump.

If it gets hot, stat out and continue, if it uses oil keep it topped up ect, just keep going to get home....

Anything beyond that and I'm getting towed.

Brakes, steering gear, bearings ect were recently done and the video I've seen of it running, it sounds very healthy. Also in the video the seller wasn't afraid to film the lot inside and out, lifted floor mats ect.

Just waiting to hear back from him and get permission off herself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

"basically export then would be his problem."

How do you figure that out? The car is still registered in Serbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Actually, you are right, that was premature of me, it's me that needs the papers not him.

Stupid thing to say, apologies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement