Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruanbeg Kildare

Options
  • 01-03-2023 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Thinking of moving to Ruanbeg. I've heard some mixed things and always see a lot of houses for sale which could be a bad sign??

I've read about kids driving screws into car tyres, the proximity to the meat factory causes a smell, schools completely full and no secondary school access (my two kids are 6 and 8 at the moment).

Just looking for advice from anyone who's lived there etc. Any info really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

I don't live there but have passed through there a fair few times visiting a friend of mine. I don't find it a bad place at all, in fact there seems to be quite a strong neighbourhood/residents association which keep the place neat and tidy. It's quite big so there may be certain corners that are quieter than others.

As for the meat factory - just from chatting with the person I know, it's rarely a problem since the prevailing wind is almost always western or southern (the factory is to the east of the estate). Easterly winds are very rare. In fact a residential zoned site right opposite the meat factory went up for sale recently.

As for schools, there will be a new 1,000+ place secondary school built in the next 2-3 years in the old Magee Barracks, less than 1km away so Ruanbeg would be ideal for that. A new Lidl is also about 1km away. The Curragh is within walking distance as is the proposed new Cherry Avenue Park (rumoured to start construction/development this year). Also access to Newbridge and J12 of the M7 is easy.

The train station would be 2km away - a 20-25 minute walk.

You could do worse, hopefully somebody with more knowledge of the place will contribute. Best of luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

I'm also looking at houses in this estate so would love any feedback people have. Particularly in terms of an ASB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

The houses for sale would be natural at this stage for a place like Ruanbeg. Its a development of circa 400 dwellings and built 20-22 years ago

A mix between families looking to trade up/down and landlords exiting the market would easily see 10%+ sales.

Anyone concerned about ASB in any place they are looking to live should visit the areas a few times, and simply go for a walk and get a vibe for the location. I always am amazed that people spend 300k+ and don't do more checking on a location or even what the neighbours are like. (gardens can tell you a lot about people and google earth can let you pry easily :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

I have visited the estate and will be visiting again at the weekend to have a proper walk around at a different time of the day. But nothing really beats some input from people who are living there day in/day out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Visit on a Saturday evening - maybe St Patrick's weekend and again at Easter, possibly the Friday evening. Your own research is far better than anyone else's.

Generally I hear no bad stories about the area from anyone I know there. As I said, its built 20+ years, so the bored teenagers that can cause some minor issues in many areas are probably grown up now.

A look at the resident's facebook page shows a fairly decent community

• Advertisement
Advertisement