Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook fault outside of Apple 2 year warranty

Options
  • 01-03-2023 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I purchased a new Macbook in November 2020 directly from Apple Ireland. A few days ago one of the thunderbolt ports stopped working for no apparent reason, there was no damage or liquid ingress. I tried to troubleshoot the issue with apple support to no avail, different cables, diagnostics, restarting etc. They said they couldn't help me as the laptop was outside the warranty period and a replacement logic board would cost over €500 to fix. As there's no apple authorized repair retail centre in Ireland I need to send it to Apple at the cost of €50 for an official diagnostic.

I believe there was a manufacturer's fault with the laptop that caused this premature hardware failure as I took excellent care of it.

Do I have any recourse under the SOGA? According to eccireland, since the fault has occurred after 6 months then the seller can request that the consumer prove the fault did not arise as a result of misuse or negligence. Are there any independent experts in Ireland that diagnose and provide a report on this type of thing?

I was thinking about taking a case to the Small Claims Court but I have doubts they would side in my favour without an independent report. There are reports on Reddit of new MacBook thunderbolt ports suddenly stopping working but no media reports like "Flexgate".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Two years? That’s good, right?

It’s better if you live in the Republic of Ireland. Under Irish law, the limitation period is actually six years. If a fault arises within the first six months of purchase, it is presumed to have existed at the time of delivery and it is up to the seller to prove otherwise or provide remedies. After six months, the consumer may be requested to show that the lack of conformity (eg, a hidden defect) already existed at the time of delivery. The seller should first offer a repair or replacement (liaising with the manufacturer if necessary) and provide this free of charge. If this is not possible or fails to correct the problem, then the consumer may request a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

com7Jan 19, 2023

I ve had a issue with my 55 OLED also and was given to total run around by LG , they re customer service is really shocking ! I d almost given up when I saw this thread and now I ve decided to go down the small claims route also against Currys as they ve tried pawning me off as well ...tv is only 2 yrs and 4 months old and cost 1440 euro , so let s see how it goes ...not much to lose for 25 euro

My advice to you is to go to the small claims court ......that was my story above and yesterday Currys refunded me 1060 , great service the small claims court !

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

This gives me hope. The District Court service in Cork is taking a long time to approve my case. How long was the entire process for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

mine was approved within a week , big delay for me was getting the letter through to currys as no one there to accept it but the whole process was definately sorted within 6 weeks ...I found the Cork staff very effcient and had no complaints at all ...you can email them maybe

• Advertisement
Advertisement