Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I saw a bee today

Options
  • 01-03-2023 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Is that unusually early for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Not particularly!

I am a beekeeper and have 6 hives, they have all been gathering pollen for the last two weeks at least. From the orange colour of the pollen, I presume it's from the gorse bushes.

Plenty of white flowers on road sides this week too. It's not warm enough for nectar to be produced but they are hauling in the pollen!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It may well depend on where you live. Offshore here and all is later than in more sheltered places. The gorse is bright but I have not seen any bees yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Seen a few fat bumble bees bussing around the catkins on our willow trees at the weekend (26th/27th March). Definitely seem a few bumble bees before that but not on any specific flower.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭standardg60

Heard my first one today too, it's plenty mild enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not at all early. We always have bumblebees in the heather in February, unless its particularly cold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement