Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powder coating on metal equipment

Options
  • 27-02-2023 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭

Documentary on lawnmower manufacture they stated that the handle had a powder coating of 1mm as an insulator to prevent shock hazard

Hadn't heard this before I presume it acts to inhibit rust as well

Is this well known about powder coating metal equipment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm confused! On electrical mowers... or petrol, or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Electric

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The reason for the question was that I can't even recall seeing a recent electric mower with a metal cover/deck, but then I re-read it and you're talking about the handle (rather than me misreading it as "they handle...").

I suppose that mowers are mostly all plastic and many are supplied with only L & N and hence no fault path to ground, and the handle is supposed to be isolated from the mains by having the cable and operating lever and cable clipped on externally. But I have seen where on fold-away handles that the wire from the lever becomes damaged/frayed and can touch off the handle - so in that case the plastic coating of 1mm would be sufficient to provide some level of protection.

So is this just a question of whether the mower is a class-II device (and hence "double-isolated") and the plastic coating on the handle is not a strict requirement but is just an additional protective measure?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya the base of the mower is similar to any plastic 2-wire appliance

A metal handle and attached cable could be hazardous in the wrong circumstances

Advertisement