Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does the moon's orientation change through the phases?

Options
  • 27-02-2023 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

We only ever see one side of the moon, but for people in the same position (i.e Ireland) does the moon orient itself differently for us over the phases or throughout the year?

For example, I have traced out the lunar mare (or what I always thought was the "man on the moon"):

I've only ever noticed it like this, but as the phases change, does it ever rotate to something like this:

Googling this has proven pointless as they only ever talk about how the spin of the moon is synchronised with it's revolution around the earth (and thus why we only see one side), but this is not what I'm interested in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Google 'LIBRATION'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

This is exactly what I wanted, thank you sir.

It confirms what I observed on the new moon last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

It also answers the other question I had related to the clear observable rotation of the moon relative to the earth

Advertisement