Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Dublin private schools

Options
  • 26-02-2023 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everybody,

I recently moved to Dublin (south) and have been looking into schools for a young boy. I have already been in touch and been looking at public schools (educate together and community schools) around the area.

However, I don't want to rule anything out and have also been looking into the private schools. I would like to ask people's opinion regarding 4 different schools in particular: St. Michael´s College, Blackrock College, St. Andrew´s College and St. Conleth´s College.

I am aware about their different religious perspectives and whether they're co-ed or not. I guess I just wanted to know what people thought about these schools in particular? If I could get some opinions from someone who has been to one of these or has a child who is going to one of them that would be amazing, but any input would be helpful.

Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Blackrock and Michaels are both run by the same religious order, and would have generally the same ethos. Both schools are great for sports facilities and would be known as "rugby" schools. Blackrock is much bigger, which can be a pro or a con depending on your child. I've a number of friends who went to Blackrock and they say that, despite it's reputation for focusing on sports, the size of the school meant that you'd always find your tribe - whether that be chess or manga or art or whatever. Michaels, I would expect, would not have that ability, but may be more suitable for a child who is sporty but more introverted and would be lost in the masses in Blackrock.

Conleth's I don't know much about. I have one friend who went there 30 years ago and very much enjoyed it.

St Andrews is very difficult to get into as far as I'm aware. I had my girls initially in Our Lady of Mercy national school. A number of girls left in second class to join the Andrews private junior school, so that they'd be guaranteed a place in the senior school. I have had two interns at work who had just graduated from Andrews over the years, and they were confident, hard working and unfailingly polite. Now that might have been just their parents doing and it was a coincidence that they were both from Andrews, but it gave me a favourable impression of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dibus

Hi JDD, and thank you for your comment.

I guess we'll just have to take a leap of faith if we do decide to go private (and get accepted).

In my opinion, how you raise them has the first and perhaps most important impact on a child, but the school environment is very important as well, keeping in mind kids will end up being in school for many years.

In the end, good education aside, all I want is for him to be happy wherever he goes. We´ll see how things turn out.

Thanks again for your input!

Advertisement