Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye surgery ?

Options
  • 26-02-2023 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I was thinking of getting Laser eye surgery because, I have a problems with my sight for the last few years I have quite blurry vision and have trouble seeing text from a distance. Also up close is a bit blurry unless its close enough. I was born with a problem with one of my eyes and I am adamant that I don't want to wear glasses or contact lenses. I was just wondering what I should do with myself If I go forward with the laser eye surgery ? like I know you cant watch TV play video games, surf the internet etc. Which is going to drive me mad. All I can think of is read some books and magazines and maybe board games but, usually they are for a group of ppl I have nobody to play with lol I only play video games by meself. Anything else I could do ??? Anyone know how long ? Is it a week or 2 weeks until you can watch TV and play games

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Maz1234

Hey,

post laser surgery it’s just 24 hours until you can watch tv etc again so long as you feel okay. Personally felt a bit odd for a few days I think because the muscles in tour eyes are working differently but not painful or anything. Let me know if you have any questions! If you go ahead with it I can refer you to get €100 in optilase 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭STEE

I heard that only some people can get this type of surgery. That they do some sort of test on you to see if your eligible for the surgery. Just wondering can you tell me what it is they do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Maz1234

i think it’s prob the cornea thickness you’re talking about. It’s just a scan of your eye like in a normal eye test, if it’s too thin you may need PRK instead. I think other things come into the decision too like I’d you play contact sports etc but you’d have to confirm that with them

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sineadg91

Hey all,

I got LASIK done just over two weeks ago and had a great experience. I got a referral off someone on this page which gave me €100 off the price which was unreal! I can refer people now so so if anyone wants any information or me to refer them just send me a message!

Sinéad

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SamBlumenthal

You may need to limit screen time for at least the first few days to a week after the surgery. While reading books and magazines might be an option, you should avoid reading for long periods or in dim lighting, as this can strain your eyes. Spending time outdoors in natural light can be beneficial for your eyes during the recovery period. However, avoid activities that could lead to eye injury or dust exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You seem to have some strange (and mostly inaccurate) ideas about laser surgery!

I suggest you go to see an accredited opthalmologist, who will tell you what exactly is wrong with your eyes, whether they are suitable for laser surgery, what the after-effects may or may not be, and the risks involved.

Then you can make an informed decision.

Consider it an investment in your future happiness.

Otherwise you're just getting random unverifiable information from randomers on the internet.

(FWIW I did this about 20 years ago, had laser surgery which was a rip-roaring success, had 20-20 vision or better until recent years when it started slipping again - went back to see the surgeon and while I'm still suitable for further corrective surgery I've decided against it this time, balancing out all the factors I don't consider it worth it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 scullycl1984

Can I have discount code please have an assessment next week with optilase. Just wondering do you mind me asking how much you paid I got assessed by optical express during week which gave me a quote of 4500 after discount of 15% , then claim back tax back at 20% which then brought it back that it really only cost me 3600 ( kinda annoyed that they making it out that I would be only paying €3600 when I really have to give them €4500 ) my prescription is -1.75 in both eyes they said I was suitable for I design lasik .

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

As Heidi said above, Go see an eye consultant first please.

In 2012 I had blurred vision and it turned out to be a diabetic complication.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 madferit25

I am currently looking into laser eye surgery. I'm a 42 year old male who has been short sighted (around -2.25) since my mid teens and wear glasses. I wore contacts a lot until last few years as my eyes have become quite dry. Now looking to get surgery as I hate glasses. Researching surgery I came across this

Butterfly, who looked the best option in the article are now no longer in business. Optilase and Optical express seem the most popular choices but in that review they don't come out great and I now have concerns about 'Wavelength technology' not being used by either, something I had no idea about until I read that review. Any recommendations from recently operated people would be appreciated. I live in Swords, Dublin but have heard it's cheaper to get it done in the north also? I do understand going cheap is obviously risky when it comes to your eyes but 'rip off Ireland' is also in full effect. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭gipi

My only comment re getting it done in NI is the amount of travelling you may have to do.

I had laser in 2008 in South Dublin (living in Co Louth). I had to go to the clinic the day after and the week after surgery for checks. I couldn't drive to these appointments (nor could I drive home on the day of surgery, obviously).

I developed a bad irritation in the eyes (related to a reaction to prescribed eye drops) and had to attend the clinic several times in the months after surgery - if my eyes were bad, I couldn't drive.

There can be a lot of follow-up, so factor that into your choice of clinic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

By your username can I assume that you are in your early 30s?

I'm 47. i know the asseswmnt might be differwnt for my agr group.

Wearing glasses for 30 years now. Dabbled with disposable daily contacts in my 20s for a couple of year (real convinient when they went in OK) but found my eyes were very sensitive. my prescription has only changed twice in those 30 years.

At this point I'm looking at another 12-15 sets of glasses in my life (and reading glasses soon)

At €450 a pop that's over €5500. Financially spending €4000 now might be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭yuridwyer

Going for a consultation this Saturday in Cork, hoping someone might be able to give me a referral for 100e each for both of us? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Advertisement