Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concealed electric Shower

Options
  • 26-02-2023 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi All,

We are adding an upstairs bathroom and want to add an electric shower. However we like the look of the concealed showers with just the swivel thermostat and the rest hidden in 'the wall' as it were. Is it possible to get something like this? I see mention online that you install the water heater section etc and just mount for want of a better description a remote faceplate on the wall linked back to the heater section. But, all these posts seem about ten years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭greasepalm

What happens when you need to service the concealed shower if hidden in a wall , be making a mess just to access it.

If you had an Emersion you could add a salamander pump for a rain shower install ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,011 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You can do a lot better than an electric shower by installing a 3 bar Stuart Turner pump. That allows you to use the type of fittings you describe and get a clean modern look. You can also use the pump to pressurise the whole system, which is what I did. The one pump serves an en-suite shower, the main bathroom shower and everything else.

Aside from shower performance superior to power showers, toilet cisterns refill rapidly and it only takes a couple of minutes to run hot water for the kitchen sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

As mentioned already, a 3 bar pump will pressurise the whole system with the exception of the mains tap. Anything running from the immersion will be pressurised. All you need is to install a thermostatic valve and connect your preferred shower head after it. I have a similar setup but have a bath and shower mixer. I use this instead of my Triton T90 when I have hot water in the tank. much better pressure.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Thanks for the advice guys. Behind the shower will be walk in storage from a different room so was just going to add a door in the studded wall to access the shower if needed. I will look into the pumps. Might make more sense in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dathi

it was the triton t300si have one with the remote power pack in the utility beside the bathroom there about 12 years unfortunately obsolete now

https://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/t300si-wireless-electric-shower-satin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

If you’ve doing an upgrade and access to a roof and a solar panels, or you’ve a heat pump, but even if you’ve fairly modern fuel burning central heating, it’s probably cheaper to just upgrade the hot water cylinder to a modern ultra insulated type used for solar heating and install a pump and a good thermostatic shower valve.

The cost per kWh of heat is definitely cheaper than electricity and you’ve even potentially free hot water on even slightly sunny days. You’ll also potentially get a grant.

I get most of my hot water from fairly simple solar, other than on the shortest dull winter days. Pretty much free showers most days!

Electric showers really only make sense as a cheap and cheerful retrofit to a house with obsolete heating systems or no central heating.

They’re efficient compared to a 1970s immersion with inadequate insulation, and cheaper than using electricity to heat an old fashioned immersion tank due to the huge heat losses, but that’s about all.

Advertisement