Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro replacement battery.

Options
  • 25-02-2023 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

I have MacBook Pro that is 7 years and needs a new battery. Where in Dublin City centre can you recommend I go to get my battery replaced?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Have a look on the Apple support page, it gives authorised service providers

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I used Max Burns in tallght to replace a screen on mine, no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting the battery in the laptop shop in Stephens Green shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

€199 and it took 4 hours as my battery had expanded and should have been replace way before now. I was told I had replaced just in time as it was close to exploding. I am now going to be selling my Mac as I just got a MacBook Pro 16" M1 Pro model that arrives on Monday morning.

• Advertisement

I've got two macbooks from 2015 with battery problems. But wasn't sure if the cost of battery replacement would be worth it if my intention was to sell them on.

I don't have the same need for a laptop these days, so no need for me to replace quite so soon. Using a mac mini, which I love.

I need a laptop because I am a freelance tech journalist, podcaster and food blogger. When I cover various events and conferences or do a live face to face podcast I need something fast, portable and with a great battery life that allows me to do this. The MacBook with the new battery will be of use to someone so I might as well sell it. Also nobody is going to buy a laptop which needs a new battery.

Yeah, I used to need both macbooks for my previous job, just not so much anymore. And I find when I travel, I'd prefer to just carry an ipad with me now.

I totally know what you mean, no way someone will buy a computer without a working battery. I'll probably get both mine fixed and then sell one and hold on to one.

I saw an ad on Facebook Market for a MacBook Pro for €300 that will need a new battery. There is no way I was doing that. There is only so much I can do on my iPad, and I am loving my new MacBook Pro but I will love it more when finally have my old MacBook files and apps moved across on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I just got Mactivate in Dublin to replace the battery on a 2015 15" MBP - it wasn't cheap at over €400, but because the battery is a part of the top case, you end up with a brand new battery, keyboard, trackpad and surrounding case, so it's almost like a new refurb.

The guy said that the top case for a MBP is typically about €600, but the 2015 15" is considered to have a problematic battery, so Apple have reduced the price (a bit).

I might not have bothered spending so much on such an old laptop, but it has 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD and an i7 processor, and still runs really well - my wife's 2013 model looks similar, but only has 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD and 802.11n wifi so, while it still works fine for her needs, if its battery swells up, we'll probably recycle it (but it's actually got loads more battery cycles than mine ever had).

• Advertisement
Advertisement