Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 - have they no faders? Breathing, mouth and mic noises all the time.

Options
  • 25-02-2023 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

I’ve been listening to current affairs on RTE Radio 1 recently quite a bit and the one thing that I actually find off putting is the way they don’t seem to control the presenter or guest mics, or they are using some very oddly sensitive configuration.

You can literally hear people’s breathing, mouths / swallowing sounds and I’ve even heard the odd burp/gurgle.

It seems to happen across multiple shows too. So I assume it’s a particular configuration.

Surely this kind of thing is pretty basic? I mean I’ve never heard it on BBC or NPR to the same extent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Joe Duffy is particularly bad at this on Liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I believe RTE use condenser mics for a lot of their on-air studios. Condenser microphones are generally extremely sensitive and can be prone to noise like lip smacking, breathing etc etc.

RTE have some pretty nice mixing desks so I don’t know why they don’t utilise expanders or noise gates to try stop some of those issues (presuming they have those facilities).

2FM on the other hand seem to use the Shure SM7B which is a famous dynamic mic that can take a bit of punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

He's rather overweight and I guess this doesn't help, but you're right onn pointing out that's be particularly bad at this. It's even worse when you're listening through a good pair of headphones. He can sound very creepy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I don’t think it’s the presenters tbh. It’s something specific to one or several studios in R1.

I’m not hearing it at all from any of the music shows or anything like that. They sound totally polished and normal. It’s always from current affairs and you’ll hear the sound of people swallowing or their breathing on the mic.

With headphones or with good speakers in the car it can be rather unpleasant to listen to.

RTE radio centre studios are undoubtedly using top notch equipment which why it’s even more surprising.

Something isn’t right and it’s technical rather than a human factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I regularly listen to Louise Duffy and thought it was just her but once I started listening to more shows, I realised it wasn’t a presenter issue. I hate that you can hear if their mouth is spitty.

It’s not so noticeable when you listen through a speaker but if you try to use earphones, it’s too intense for me personally to put up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

It’s definitely not a presenter issue and you often hear it quite badly with guests on Radio 1

I remember listening to a debate and you could literally her someone’s nose whistling as they breathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I've also heard Matt Cooper nose whistling on occasions on today fm, so not confined to rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭archfi

Yes, it's very offputting especially headphone listening.

I know we all make these mouth sounds at times but they shouldn't be picked up on broadcast equipment so not a presenters fault, weirdly the equipment or equipment settings which as better informed have said would/should be top of the range at RTE.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Advertisement