Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday break in Italy- which Ryanair Italian airport to a recommended region

Options
  • 24-02-2023 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Hi.... looking at going to Italy. Not really decided where but interested to hear what Ryanair airport best to land at and then pick the area to look at accommodation

anyone been to Sicily.......? Thoughts?

give me your recommendations if you have been there.....

many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It depends what you want, cities, driiving around, beaches, mountains, history?

Sicily is great and perhaps less expensive, but very hot in midsummer, best to go in Spring/Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Sicily is amazing, june or September though is the best time. We have been 3 times.

Loads of airports in Italy so it would depend on what you want. City breaks, beaches, countryside. How long a trip, how many people, children, will you hire a car??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Sicily is fabulous but quite big so you'd need a car. In August it's VERY hot plus a lot of mainland Italians holiday there. It's a beautiful island, people are friendly, very proud of their heritage, fantastic food, great beaches (depending on location) and cost of living a lot lower than the rest of Italy.

Sardinia might be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Masala

Sorry for delay in replying...

looking for a city break for a 50-ish couple. So nice hotel, nice wine and restaurants and we take in a tour or two while there. Nothing hectic.... just relaxing and stopping for a coffee/ wine as we roam the area

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'd go to Sardinia instead, it's not as hectic as Sicily especially in August....

Flights are direct to Cagliari..

Sicily is amazing too, I wouldn't hire a car there if you paid me! Palermo has loads of amazing restaurants, and you can get the train along the coast to the beach towns.... Catania is a city of great character and you can get the bus there from Palermo and fly back...Or get the train back from Palermo or Catania to the mainland towards Naples...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I’d recommend Treviso. Completely overlooked as most people fly there to go to Venice but it’s a beautiful city with lovely historical centre, plenty of cafes and outdoor spaces for people watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'd second Bologna, especially if you're into your food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Bologna is a good spot and you will eat well, as stated. You can make easy day trips to Ferrera and Modena to diversify.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

You can also get to San Marino easily enough from Bologna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

Florence too in about 40 mins on a high speed train. Book early to get cheaper tix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Ryanair fly to Pisa, which gives you access to Tuscany if you have car hire added.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Recommend flying into Verona. Shuttle bus into city centre where the bus terminal is beside the train station. Easy walk into town where you can stay a day or two. You can take the train onto to Peschiera and next stop is Desanzano for a stay on Lake Garda. I'd recommend both but Desanzano is perfect for a week to ten days. Take the passenger boat around all the villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Why are you restricting yourself to Ryanair destinations unless you have a voucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭mrskinner

Brindisi.

Advertisement