Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping for baby necessities, any wisdom?

Options
  • 24-02-2023 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I'm mostly wondering what are the money waste things , shops, products or brands to avoid.

What can save me space and money and trouble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

If I could go back, I would have used freecycle pages on Facebook more for second hand items. I spent a lot of money on the Co sleeper and baby only slept in it for less than 12 months. Make use of freecycle pages because it's good for the environment and can save you a fortune. Depends if you're bottle feeding or breastfeeding also. I breastfed and would recommend plenty of muslin cloths and the stretchy exercise bras from Pennys, which are so handy to pull up and down. I spent a lot of money on Bepanthen but it's worth it. Someone told me to put it on baby's bum after every change and my baby never had nappy rash. Good luck with baby and congratulations

Don’t buy gimmicks!! If it requires constant upkeep and replacement parts etc then it’s not worth a shite and will make life harder in the long run.

It’s all fun and games having a bottle maker for example, until the baby wants a bottle but the filters ran out and needs replacement, except it’s 2am and they’re only available online anyway… it stops being a device that makes life easy very swiftly.

Also be careful buying loads of toys and clothes. I’ve seen before people tend to get way over excited with clothes (which is understandable) but remember the baby is growing like a weed for their first few months! If you’ve too many clothes I promise you that you’ll end up with outfits that have never been worn cos the baby didn’t fit them by the time you got around to it 😂

Muslin cloths and bibs are the great exception, but loads, as many as you can, seriously if you think you’ve too many you probably haven’t enough. When our second lad was born and we had some more cop on we had 3 bibs to every one sleepsuit.. some babies are especially drooly too so they’ll use a lot more bibs.

As for toys make sure not to go crazy cos they can’t play with a lot of stuff in the first few months anyway and I found myself babies can get very bored very quickly. Rather than buying a bunch of toys all at once I’d suggest a toy budget put that money aside and after babies born and they start showing more interest in toys pick new things up when they start getting a bit tired of what they’ve got.

More toys doesn’t = more love so don’t guilt yourself into buying loads of stuff. Definitely suggest a play mat or gym for baby they love those. And I absolutely second above check out free pages or similar like charity shops etc cos you can get fab stuff for half nothing in there!

if I think of anything else I’ll edit this. Best of luck and congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Kurooi

Thank you so much :)

Actually, bottle makers, this I don't get. Is this a gimmick do you think?

This looks good but I could equally well just get bottles and mix from the kettle.

https://www.mamasandpapas.ie/products/perfect-prep-day-and-night-machine-1303cl500

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Breastfeed, sleep with the baby, a few babygros and clothes to clean up. A sling to carry in. And a stout cardboard box when you need to put them down and worried about them rolling off. Really all a baby starting out needs is it's mother and her time, warmth and milk. My rough & ready advice based on our experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Nope, I adored mine.

You do need to replace the filter but they give you plenty of warning (like weeks) so you won't find yourself stuck at 3am with nothing...we always kept a spare anyway.

Breastfeeding is all well n good if the baby latches and it all goes well. However not every baby does, not every mother can.

Everyone I know that bottle fed recently has one of those machines.

• Advertisement

I personally found they were an unnecessary waste of money especially with the replacing filters etc

what we did was boiled the kettle and cooled it off then filled bottles w/ the water for the day and just added the formula when it was time to feed.

did this twice a day morning and evening (for the night time feeds). My sister suggested not to feed the baby warm bottles cos they don’t mind room temp and if they don’t get the warm ones they can’t form a preference. Saves a lot of stressing when the baby’s starving and impatient!

so that’s what we did and never found any hassle. Obviously if you can breastfeed that’s great but it’s not for everyone or every baby indeed.

The bottle is supposed to be made with freshly boiled (but slightly cooled) water , they recommend a 30 min window .

The whole idea is to kill any bacteria that might be lurking in the formula as the manufacturers arse cover themselves by not guaranteeing a 100% sterile product.

Adding formula to water boiled hours ago isn't going to achieve this.

I found a baby changing unit great ...we didn't have a lot of space. I got one in smyths that the changing mat lifts to the side and there's a bath underneath (draining it was abit of a pain , it has a hose so I just used a milk carton to drain the water into....I couldn't lift a full bath)

Then I stored vests and babygros in the shelves and nappies on the bottom.

Great when on maternity leave and faced with a poonami everything within reach.

Again nice to have not essential but I'd definitely get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

If you only buy one thing....Ewan the sheep. I don't know what it is about that damn sheep but by god he was a saviour....even helped me to sleep!

The prep machine was by far the second best thing we purchased. Room temp bottle within a minute. Also if you are planning on bottle feeding boots and tesco sell the small bottles with the teats that you get given in the hospital. They came in very handy for the first couple of weeks when at appointments and during the night. I think some hospital's sell slabs of them as well so worth asking before leaving. Steam steriliser for bottles as well...I found the tommee tippee one great.

Don't go mad buying clothes.....they will literally live in sleepsuits day and night and most of the clothes don't get worn.

I also used a cocoonababy ( divided opinions I know) but found it great for during the day naps. Both mine loved it and slept great in it.

I never bothered with a bouncer, nappy bin, fancy furniture for their room. Didn't bother getting a cot or high chair till 6 months old. I used a small crib till 6 months old that I got in baby elegance, much cheaper than a next to me e.t.c I also got the same changer as above in smyths with the built in Bath and kept that in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Not sure what your plans are but buying a feeding pillow in advance is a good idea ( at least with twins). Our cots were a complete waste of money. They didn’t sleep in them once.

• Advertisement

My changing unit in the kitchen too and nappy straight to house bin!!!

It really depends on how much space you have.

Friends of mine got playpens ,the massive ones , it was kept mostly in the kitchen that also had a couch and tv , so basically the hub of the house. They were great.

We didn't have space but I used a travel cot for downstairs, which worked very nicely as a bed and a cage 😂🤣🤣 probably from about 6 months onwards. We had a Moses basket and stand that went up and down the stairs each day when they were a newborn.

You'll get loads of "outfits" as presents but honestly they'll wear them once you'll take the photo then it's babygro all the way....they are so much easier for changing and softer than fussy outfits. So wouldn't be going mad on clothes or toys.

Possibly so, however I never had an issue and my sister didn’t either (and I’m pretty sure my entire family do this, but granted it is outside the recoms)

Well it's the instructions that are on the tin....both sma and aptamil.

While you may not have had an issue , giving the wrong advice/procedure could end up with a very sick baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Nappies stock pile them if you think you have enough get more.

Tits for your babies bottle always have loads .

Clothes accept gits and hand me downs most will have been worn once or twice, bibs same as nappies never have enough.

Strollers buggys car seats there is an excellent amount to choose from on Facebook adds dun deal ect

If you're baby gets attached to a huggy or couddly toy that they will end up keeping for a lifetime try to get multiple of them it will save hartake and tears in the future if they loose.

And for yourself as parents get as much sleep as possible lack of sleep can be hard.

Best of luck to you and your young one.

Yeah, okay.

I know how food safety works, let me tell you warm water doesn’t kill bacteria, but anyway.

Bacteria found in food is killed at around 65C which is around the temperature a kettle would be once let cool but used within 30 mins.

Water that had been let cool for hours certainly won't be killing anything.

You didn't find the bottle prep machine worthwhile which is fine.

You however went on to describe a method of bottle preparation that goes completely against the guidelines printed on the formula tin by the manufacturers. It worked out fine for you but your baby could have ended up very sick.

We are in the newborn forum so we need to be careful about what advice is being given relating to newborns.

I found the perfect prep machine great. I followed the instructions on the tin and found all the flaffing about, boiling the kettle waiting for it to cool enough to make the bottle then cooling the bottle down enough (but not too much) for the baby to drink a pain in the hole. We were on feeds every 3 hours and again I was following manufacturers instructions and making the bottle fresh each feed.

So my experience of the machine was it was one of the best purchases we made.

Hand on heart you're the only person I've ever heard that used it and said didn't think it was worth it. Some of my friends had 2 one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom, which I think is slightly overboard but each to their own!

Bacteria in food is killed at 73 degrees not 65 that’s the hot holding temp.

As for what I said, I simply offered my own experience and that of my sister/extended family. I did not tell the OP what to do, that is up to them.

But in every PHN app, GP etc they were all aware of how bottles were prepped and none had a word to say.

Anyway, it’s not worth arguing about. I just found the machine to be a bit of a gimmicky thing and rather expensive and can be done without if trying to avoid splurging on needless things that are not “essential”!

According to WHO it's 65 and above which is why I said around 65. I've no idea the exact temperature that water would be 30 mins after boiling, but it's definitely hotter than warm. I'm sure the manufacturers did enough testing to go with a 30 mins guideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Follow the instructions as per the formula you are using at the time nothing else and don't listen to anyone else.

Some have different instructions. The sma anti reflux and some other brand of the lactose free ones say to put the hot water in the bottle and cool it to room temp then add the powder.

Also the hse and NHS don't recommend the perfect prep thing so take that as you will.

And yes I have seen it where they say if the bottle is sterile and water boiled it can be stored in the fridge for 24hrs and formula added later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

The point of the heat is to sterilise the formula - not the water.

• Advertisement

Can’t comment on the temperature as I don’t really remember (it’s all online anyway) but the bottle maker was the best thing we got, honestly it made it so much better asker and took away any stress at 2,3,4,5 in the morning!!!!

If you are using a bottle maker, steriliser machines are great too, quick wash and leave them in there to steam away.

I know this is about baby stuff but make sure to keep your body going too, having a perfect diet is hard but even a few vitamins and supplements for yourself to make sure you’re getting some ‘goodness’ in you in the early stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I bought a Mam brand microwave steriliser with bottles recommended by a nurse. My sister had already given me a plug in steriliser. Do I need a bottle machine too or are they bottle machines? Sorry, I haven't a clue!

The prep machine essentially just gives you the perfect temperature water at the right measurments per scoop of formula. It puts in a shot of hot water...you then mix in the formula and then add a shot of cold water from the machine.( the formula itself doesn't go in the machine) It's just instant and at the right temperatures ,no waiting to cool it down. As mentioned above the hot shot of water sterilises the formula. Once made up you follow all instructions re storage e.t.c as per normal guidelines

Re the sterilisers-Nope they are the same thing so no need for both. One you put in the microwave to sterilise them. The plug in one you put the bottles in that and then it switch it on to sterilise. I preferred the plug in one as it was bigger and could take more bottles.

Post edited by Frankie19 on

Hse doesn't endorse any product.

When I asked for advice on formula the midwives said "up to you, we can't favour a product"

There was controversy over the perfect prep a couple of years ago and it transpired that people were using normal water filters not the recommended filter that goes with the product. This resulted in bacteria/mould building up in the water lines. ....the filters are around 13 euro , boots and smyths often had them on offer...so not exactly break the bank. Personally I'd probably only use the machine for 2 children after that I'd be more wary about what's going on internally.

I'll be honest and say I only looked at sma and aptamil, they have or had a disclaimer that while every precaution was taken to ensure the sterility of the product they still recommend the hot water to kill any bacteria that might be present.

Had I known at the time that there was a formula that could be made with stored boiled water I might have gone with that. Though I still prefer the idea of them getting a warm drink especially in winter.

I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Sounds like you've two sterilizers .... microwave or plug in they'll both sterilize grand once the bottles fit in properly etc.

The bottle machine....are you talking about the perfect prep bottle maker....if so...that's entirely up to you. I loved mine , my friends loved theirs. Is it a necessity? Nope , but it does take the pain out of making fresh bottles.

Join the boots parenting club. You'll get extra points on baby purchases. They all add up especially if you buy big ticket items like pram or carseat etc.

Yes, I was referring to the perfect prep bottle machine. So I don't need one of them. Thanks

The one thing I bought that was an absolute waste of money was the clevamamma fireplace grate guard. We didn't use our fire and I already had a fireguard so I didn't want the big massive fire protector things.

This product was sticky foam that you stick to the edges of the grate. It didn't work....looked down one day and there the baby was crawling around with the feckin thing stuck to their arse 😂🤣🤣

We ended up with the big massive fireguard cage thing... which ended up doubling as a shelf, ffs 🙄🙄🙄

• Advertisement

Thanks, already bought my pram in Mamas and Papas. Car seat I already had from bringing my niece and nephew around and we got a perfect second hand next to me on Done Deal.

Will get more nappies and bibs now that I know!

Advertisement