Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borderline Personality Disorder

Options
  • 22-02-2023 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Starting this thread to discuss BPD.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago and I have had no support from the facility I went to in Crumlin to get diagnosed.

They discharged me 2 years ago and today I decided to do something about it, I called my doctor and just found out that he retired.

What are you supposed to do if you have BPD?

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Moved from Psychology. Personal Issues forum charter now applies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Moving from PI to Longterm Illness which is probably a better fit for it.

Local charter applies.

HS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Have you had or needed any sort of treatment for it yet?

Definitely get registered with a gp.

Depending on your needs, the gp can either help you directly or refer you to the local mental health team.

How is it affecting your day to day life?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Smoke420meme

Yeah I've been struggling for years and I should have been getting treatment since I was in my 20s.

I can't hold onto a job for the life of me. I get jobs, do them for a few weeks or months and then can't deal with waking up early and the stress.

I have very little tolerance for distress.

I have sky high anxiety that makes it impossible to sleep until like 6am sometimes 8am.

I am debilitated and crippled by my mental health issues.

I cannot be normal and it's really getting me down.

I'm not like everyone else and it just comes across as being lazy or not talented or useless, because I'm always unemployed or quitting jobs.

I tried moving from working in retail which was hell, to office work in the tech sector, which was ok but again my super high sensitivity made taking criticism almost traumatic.

Everytime a manager pulls me aside for any kind of criticism I almost cry.

I find it really hard to be able to take a slagging (standard in Irish workplaces) and just end up getting upset or pissed off. Which means when someone is actually bullying me or saying inappropriate things to me, I'm confused as to weather I'm just being very sensitive or its actually bad behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

I'm so sorry to read that and definitely recognise a lot of myself in that.

I think the best next step from here is to look at getting a new gp sorted and perhaps contacting the mental health team that you were discharged from.

Might also be worth looking into disability allowance to take the pressure off from job hunting, until some useful coping mechanisms can be learned.

Feel free to PM if you want to talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Excellent advice.

Advertisement