Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DPF/EGR deletes and NCT

• 22-02-2023 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Probably a common enough question but I'm planning on getting my MK4 mondeo stage 1 remapped, considering getting DPF and EGR deleted and mapped out at the same time for numerous of the benefits. Don't mean to sound harsh but I don't care about the environmental impact.

All I'd like to know is if it will be okay for NCT to still pass? Thinking of going with MFK autocare in Mullingar for the work, who I believe have a good rep.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

If nct detect it has been modified then it should fail. Some companies knock the middle out if dpf and put back empty can. They wide the weld seam as best they can.

Lately nct has been plugging into odb port and collecting data, in the future they may require an emissions ok message from car ecu. So there is risk and I am sure dodgy dpf crowds wont give any sort of guarantee for nct. Black soot on exhaust is dead give away but I got away with it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

DPF is being gutted not removed so just cutting out the honeycomb and re-installing the empty box as you've said.

Not too worried about soot on the exhaust it's an old car I don't think they could fail it on that alone.

Had the work done yesterday for anyone that's interested in the same.

MFK autocare in Westmeath carried out the work

DPF gutted, EGR deleted and a remap with all the necessary coding for the above.

DPF was hollowed out with the box kept in place, EGR was just commanded permanently closed through coding, and the Remap has yielded a punchy 175bhp and the pull from the car now is ridiculous.

Not a bit of smoke being thrown out the back, same as it was before the job was done, haven't noticed any smells and apart from the extra power. It's driving perfectly normal, idling and driving smoother due to the DFP/EGR not running.

Only thing I've noticed is it shudders under load higher gears at 2000rpm thereabouts which I believe is more down to my clutch/DMF being on their last legs (134,000 miles) on original parts so I'll be bringing it back just to reduce the peak torque slightly. Not a big issue and only happens when I use WOT so can easily avoid it.

Highly recommended to anyone who's wanting to do the same, Matthew is a gent and knows what he's doing. Nice waiting room with a heater and Netflix too.

Took near 2 hours and €450 for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Magown3

What car was it you had done?

Interested in getting mine done also. Only thing I'm concerned about is fumes on the driveway during a winter morning when I'm defrosting the car.

Mondeo MK4 2ltr diesel. Unless you're standing beside the exhaust pipe at the back you'll be grand, haven't noticed mine being more smelly by any means.

I have had people tell me it throws out some black smoke under hard acceleration but other than that it's fine. I can't see it from my rear window so can't be much, been meaning to have someone follow me taking a video so I can see for myself.

Getting rid of EGR and DPF will only reap benefits for your cars health, once done correctly,

There is an environmental impact with increased NOx emissions from EGR being bypasses and soot being thrown out the back instead of being caught in a filter.

But that's a choice you'll have to make for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭User1998

My Dad got the same job done many years ago and has passed NCT. Once its done properly it will pass no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Dpf delete done on my Ford 2.0tdci, last nct smoke test has 1.5 fail limit my car had reading of 0.18, used dipetane before test .

Advertisement