Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

KBC SMS Message with bank account details

Options
  • 22-02-2023 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭

The attached SMS was received by an elderly BOI customer, who also had KBC accounts. I assume it is scam, as it contains (unrecognized) account numbers and 'Text Checker' trap! In case BOI actually sent the message, I have blanked out the account numbers.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭Tow

BOI SMS

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Allinall

I received the same and have no reason to believe it's a scam.

The KBC account number is mine, and I had already received notice by post that it would automatically transfer over to BOI, and that they would be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That text checker thing is genuine, as are the numbers.

https://www.bankofireland.com/security-zone/stop-think-check/

I'm struggling to think of the angle here, apart from hoping you'll send money to their account and never follow up? Seems unlikely. This could be legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭Tow

The account number provided was different from the recipient's KBC account and their account transfered several weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Looks legit,

Assuming the recepient of the text message had a KBC account (which it appears they did)

Phone the number for more information but it does look like its just noticiation of account changeover prior to KBCs withdrawal from the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is it possible they had another account they weren't aware of? Maybe they have the wrong number for someone either. No harm to gime them a call and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Allinall

Could it be a legacy account from years ago with a zero balance?

As I said, I got two of the same messages for two deposit accounts, and the numbers matched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi all,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

I can confirm that this is a genuine message from Bank of Ireland. The transfer of the day-to-day management and servicing of KBC deposit account(s) to Bank of Ireland completed on 20 February 2023.

If you’ve a question about any of our communications you have received, please don’t hesitate to contact Bank of Ireland’s KBC Transition Support team on 0818 210 290, 8am – 8pm Monday – Friday (excluding bank holidays) or +353 1 250 0305 (if calling from outside Ireland). From 4 February to 25 March our support team will be available on Saturdays 10am-2pm.

I hope this helps!

Thanks, Megan

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

zero balance deposit accounts were sent a letter warning of closure, then closed rather than transferred (I had already emptied mine when I moved the current account)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I got a few of these texts, all received about a week after letters saying the accounts were closed. They were all in my phone's spam text folder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭standardg60

Whether they're legit or not, i ignore any action suggested by text messages. Got a text from AIB asking me to call them recently, ignored it until i got a letter from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi All,

Thanks for joining the thread.

If you are ever unsure relating to an SMS from BOI, please do use our Text checker service. We have information on this below.

Hoping this helps, Alison

Advertisement