Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spouse Entitled to Jobseekers if Husband on Pension

Options
  • 22-02-2023 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭

Morning, a question for friends.

Wife has worked on and off all her life, is 62 and recently laid off. Her Husband is now on State pension from last August.

There's some confusion as to what the wife is entitled to, due to her Husband now being on state pension with no other income.

I'm waiting for more detail, but would have thought she would be entitled to a Jobseekers payment in her own right. Am I incorrect, am I missing something 🤔

There's no additional pensions, income or complications.

Thanks in advance if anyone can throw some light on this.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,485 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yes, she is entitled to JSB. Apply right away

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thanks @zell12 I'm still waiting on more info but it she appears to have been given incorrect information from an SW office, I suspect more confusion than wrong information.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Can't see any reason that would proclude her from claiming JSB unless she's a qualified adult on his pension.

If that's the case they should still assess her though and see what would be financially better for her.

Morning Necro 😏 I think you've hot the nail on the head, she mentioned being a qualified adult after visiting the Intero center.

How would that work exactly if I may ask 🤔

I would have thought, given her age and own work history, she'd be entitled to claim a Jobseekers payment in her own right. I also assume if being assessed as a qualified adult she would get far less per week, of would her husbands payment increase 🤔

They've always kept their payments separate

Thank you

OK Quick update.

Essentially as the Husband is on his State pension, this changes everything. If she was to go on a Jobseekers payment her means assessed at €130, despite husband only getting a state pension. She would get €176 PW as a qualified adult on her husbands pension, this according to DSP & Citizens information.

So she's not excluded from applying for a Jobseekers payment, just the payment would only be €130 per week if this makes any sense.

Basically, the Husbands state pension is the issue seemingly. The wife can as it happens continue to work and earn up to certain amount weekly as a dependent adult.

Seems all very convoluted, in essence instead of €220 basic Jobseekers PW Whilst she seeks work, she'll get €176 as a qualified adult or if she applied for Jobseekers, €130 per week.

• Advertisement

If she signs on as a new claimant of JSB she would have to be "available for and seeking work", and could have to engage with employment activation meetings, etc.

AFAIK, as a qualified adult on her husband's pension, she would not have to meet that condition.

This is correct but I believe this would also be the case as a dependent adult, available for work is not the issue here ,its how she is assessed with a husband who is on the state pension seemingly, her means despite no other income is coming in at €130 per week on a Jobseekers payment or €176 as a qualified adult albeit if she find work she will retain that if earnings below a certain threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭gipi

Exceptions are made for people over 62, they don't have to engage with activation measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭gipi

Dempo1, I wonder if the husband is on a noncontributory state pension? If he is, and his wife claims jsb, there will be a maximum allowable payment between both claims.

Husband is on full state pension, had more than enough contributions, worked all his life but thank you for the comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Her rate of JSB is dependent on how much per week she was earning over the whole of 2021.

For example if they’ve looked and said she only earned between €150 and €220 per week then she’d only be offered €134.20.

As a dependent of her pension recipient husband as someone with no means of her own she would be entitled to €176.70.

What rate of JSB are they offering her Dempo?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That's all true, also there is an option as a qualified adult of a spouse in receipt of a pension to have the QA rate paid directly to her as opposed to with the primary payment, if she wants to keep the payments seperate that's possible.

130 per week might be based on her average weekly income from 2021 as opposed to being directly linked to the pension was my initial thoughts actually? JSB wouldn't normally be means tested as far as I know?

I believe the €130 is based on 2021 eranings albeit I didn't think JSA was calculated on previous gross earnings as opposed to JSB 🤔 but yes the other points re qualified adult taken on Board 😏 thanks again

Hi there, my understanding is when she went to sign on it was determined adult dependent rate was a better option at €176 PW. The Jobseekers rate and I presume was for JSB was €130 PW and she was working PT in 2021.

I'm still trying to determine if JSA Was even an option as that rate is not based on previous earnings, unless I'm incorrect 🤔

She's been told the fact her husband is now on a Pension, her circumstances have changed with regard to entitlement re Jobseekers payment.

Thanks again

Advertisement