Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After completing a PLC do entry Degree requirements for Maths still apply

Options
  • 21-02-2023 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, I am doing my Leaving Cert and am struggling with Ordinary Level Maths and it's quite likely I will fail it. I thought I had the option of doing a PLC and then my application for a degree in Sport would be based on the PLC award. I know some PLC colleges offer Maths module but don't want to do that if possible. All the colleges I am looking at have an entry requirement of Maths O6. I expect to get enough points in the leaving Cert to get any of the degree courses I am looking at but Maths is the problem - will the PLC award mean I dont need Maths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If the course you want to do has a maths requirements then you will need a maths requirement. If you pass your maths then this will not be a problem. You might still pass it, don't give up and maybe start practicing exam papers, you will be surprised how the same type of questions come up regularly.

However, if this doesn't work out for you, there is a module available in PLC courses in Maths. It's recognised as equivalent to Ordinary Level LC Maths. About 60% of the grade is made up of coursework and the rest by the end of year exam. Most PLC centres will probably offer it, but if you sign up for a PLC you should ask if they offer the module if you have failed maths and need the module as a requirement. Having taught the module I would say passing the PLC module is more achieveable that the LC Maths exam because of the project element of the module.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Hi. There is a great free web site.. called brighterminds.ie ... The lady goes through past papers, nice and slowly from easiest to harder ones. You have loads of time, to start the course. It's great to show you how to handle the questions and it's great revision. I started a few weeks back and make a great impression so far.... All the best

Advertisement