Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas - age ID

Options
  • 21-02-2023 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Heading to Las Vegas in April and I've been reading a few bits and pieces about how strict they can be over ID for drinking.

I'm no spring chicken 🙂 but from reading it appears grey hairs and wrinkles don't matter. I'm not comfortable bringing my passport out so was going to use driving licence. I'm guessing the staff are used to different country's IDs or maybe I'm being naïve.

So has anyone any experience of being "carded" in Vegas? Should I apply for a Garda age card 😎

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Use your driving licence, be grand.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I've been served in some places without ID and others were very strict about having to produce it. Seems to be no rhyme or rhythm to it. I'd have the licence to hand anyway just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Driving licence will be fine. You can be carded if you look 21 or 101, they sometimes will make every single person entering a venue show ID regardless of how obvious it is that they are 21 or over. Also when purchasing off licence alcohol in shops they often look for it, in the likes of Walgreens it's policy for every such sale.

I wouldn't bring the passport out, they are fine with EU driving licences as will be familiar with the same style across the board. The old style paper Irish driving licence was a different story 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Thanks for the prompt replies.

This question is not for me but has anyone used the passport card? I know it's not consider legal ID outside of the EU & EEA.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I used my passport card in Los Angeles. They took it no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

My missus was carded in Vegas..she was about 30 ish at the time. Delighted she was!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I was carded in Chicago. Wanted to say "eh do you not see the grey hairs". To be fair I'd say it was just a policy because he was already mixing the cocktail and I didn't show anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,266 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The reason you are carded in LV regardless of how old you look is only partly to do with age, and more to do with use of a credit card. To use a CC to buy alcohol you have to show ID. Rather than asking everyone every time they order a drink, they check ID at the door and that satisfies the legal requirement. I was there with some friends a few years ago, the night we arrived one of the guys I was with, who was in his late 50s was IDd going into a pub, he asked the bouncer just how old do you have to be to get in, the bouncer politely chuckled and explained that once he showed ID, he was free to use his CC inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭ratracer

Of any of the cities I’ve been to in the US, Vegas is the only one I’ve not been asked for ID in.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Drivers license card or passport card ID are absolutely perfect and accepted everywhere.

Garda card would potentially cause issue as they would not see it very often.

enjoy Vegas…….bring lots and lots and lots of money😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It's not "legal" passport id for entry to countries outside the EU & EEA, but perfectly acceptable as a valid age id and I've used it many times over there - even though I'm the wrong side of 50 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The fines for serving someone under age are massive so many places have a simple card everyone policy. I remember being in Chicago in my 30s and getting offended that I was the only one in our group who wasn't carded and I was the youngest 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭the14thwarrior

bring your driving license or passport card when out and about in vegas. i am on the wrong side of 50, and was carded for buying cigerettes in walgreens. its policy. and i didn't have it on me so i could not purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I was carded in Walmart buying some wine and 10 minutes later in Wendy's was offered a free refill for being a senior - you couldn't make it up !

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭delboy85

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm currently in Vegas and have been carded buying tickets for Cirque de Soleil at the Bellagio, buying alcohol in Walgreens and booking and later entering The Henry restaurant at the Cosmopolitan for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm 58 but only one person per couple or group was carded.

Advertisement