Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey gift recommendation

Options
  • 21-02-2023 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. I've been asked by a non-whiskey drinker to source a bottle of "something nice" for a gift. The recipient is a fan of most of the Midleton distillery output, in particular Redbreast. He also is a fan of Dingle Distillery's whiskeys and tends to buy anything new they produce. Looking for something in the EUR 100-150 range, but can go a little over that if necessary. Doesn't have to be Irish, although I know he's not really a fan of Scotch or bourbon, but could be open to something Japanese maybe. My preference is bourbon, and wouldn't be too familiar with anything Irish in the suggested price range, which means I'm not a lot of use so any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

https://wdoconnell.com/ does some interesting premium bottlings.

JJ Corry is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Not an expert by any stretch, but if someone gave me a Yellow spot or a red breast 12 i would be delighted. Both shy of 100 euro. Red breast 15 in my opinion not as nice as the 12. But the 15 might be more of a “statement” gift if thats important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Dingle's single malts batch 5 & 6 both available in my local o'briens for €70 each still, and I think they're good value at that.

But there are Blue Spots still available around the place priced €85/€90. That's one of my all time favourites.

Or red spot is €135. V nice too. Free delivery from a lot of places:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was going to suggest one of the seasonal Dingle releases such as Samhain or Bride, but sounds like there's a good chance your friend has already picked them up if keep an eye on their releases.

If your budget was around €80 - €100 then JJ Corry The Gael or a Waterford release (eg Ratheadon, Cuvee) would be something different that would go down well, of ones I've sampled.

But given your budget +1 for Red Spot

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Redbreast 12 Cask Strength seems to obvious suggestion to me, your friend is already a fan of the brand and it's squarely within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

What about something different from Middleton and something like the Knappogue Castle range?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, plenty to go on there.

Advertisement