Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish pension in Malaysia?

Options
  • 19-02-2023 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am currently 40 years old and living in Malaysia.

I am an Irish and a British citizen.

I have worked in both Ireland and in the UK.

I have 437 Irish PRSI contributions.

I have 16 years of full UK National Insurance contributions.

My questions are:

1. When I reach pension age, can I choose to apply either for an Irish or a UK state pension, while living in Malaysia?
    2. If so, I would chose to apply for an Irish contributory pension, since the weekly payment amount is greater than the UK state pension. But I understand I need 520 stamps for that. And I only have 437, so short 83. Can I rely on my 16 years UK NI contributions to make up the missing 83 Irish stamps?

Would be grateful for any views on this. And of course, if I’ve misunderstood anything, please do correct me. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If I were you I'd contact the relevant Irish and UK government departments, quoting your PPSN and see what they say.

The old 10 year qualification period here is changing and your contrib. OAP is likely to be a fraction of what it currently is.

Not sure about how it works in the UK your contributions will provide some level of benefits.

p.s. You may be entitled to partial contrib. OAP benefits from both countries.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

This might get a little complicated...

Prior to BREXIT, there was an EU requirement to ensure citizens obtained the maximum pension possible from all of their contributions to EU member states. There are voluminous documents on how this is to be done, which I won't go into, but since BREXIT these rules no longer apply. I have not been keeping up with this topic and so I'm not familiar with the transition agreement on it.

From previous form, I'd suggest you contact the Irish authorities first and explain the situation to them and see what the advise. In the worst case you will be entitled to a partial pension from both states.

Advertisement