Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to transfer money to Japan?

Options
  • 18-02-2023 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Any idea?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Western Union ? Bank Transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Crypto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

wise.com (Previously known as TransferWise)

1. Cheaper than the Bank's own international transfer fees
    2. Way cheaper than Western Union
    3. None of the on and off ramps problems at either end that you would have with crypto

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Depends on the amount but revolut may be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

€5, €500, €5000, €50,000, or €500,000.

Op question is dependent on the amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭polysteamtoken

Crypto would take merely a few seconds & you can convert it into yen through a local exchange in Japan or perhaps a bitcoin ATM. You would need ID for a local exchange but you would need it anyway for opening a bank in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Things are easy when you are big in Japan

As others pointed out, crypto is almost instant. Which is just long enough for the value of the imaginary tokens to halve or go to zero in the time it takes to do a transfer.

For your amounts, Wise is likely the best answer. Especially if you are already set up on it.

If it's too much hassle to set it up, maybe even the likes of Paypal or something might work. Probably be more expensive. I wouldn't use that myself though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unsafe, can be exceptionally slow depending on the token involved, and could crash in the time it takes. Appalling advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It is not unsafe. Sure it fluctuates, but it will not crash during the time between sending and receiving the transaction. It might even be worth when the recepient receives it.

It's not appalling advice. You might not like crypto, but saying it appalling advise to use it as a method of transferring value is just ignorant and foolish. Use a stablecoin if your worried, but you can use a coin like ATOM or DOT and have money transferred in seconds for a tiny fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭BnB

I used TransferMate for currency exchange a few times in the last few years. I priced TransferWise and the rates were similar between the too but I just stuck with TransferMate as I'd used them before.

I've never used Western Union so I couldn't comment but TransferMate was certainly significantly cheaper than using my own bank.

The Crypto suggestion just seems nuts to me. Due to the extreme volatile nature of it, I certainly wouldn't put any money other than something you could afford to write off as a gamble into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Have you a MyNumber card?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're using a non bank system extensively used by criminals, with zero guarantees of anything ("stable" coins can - and do - lose all value. Of course its wildly unsafe.

Its not money - its a ponzi scheme at best. Head back to the crypto forum rather than recommending it to the unaware here. It is terrible advice to tell someone to use something like this.

This is a mod instruction - do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I've used wise many times, quick and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

I used to send money to and from Japan by Western Union, this was about 10 -12 years ago but was the handiest at the time even though it was expensive.

Would Revolut not be an option now?

Advertisement