Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your most effective strategy for learning languages

Options
  • 17-02-2023 3:02pm

I completed a couple of Duolingo courses. I think its pretty good but it doesn't give you full exposure to the langauge. So I started listening to foreign language podcasts and reading foreign newspapers. The only thing I think I am missing now is living in a foreign country and speaking the language but I don't think that's necessary.

What do you think is the most effective strategy for learning a language?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Sounds like what you're doing is a good start - as much exposure as possible. Even if you're a complete beginner, hearing podcasts, talk radio or songs in the target language will attune your ears to the sounds, and as you gain more knowledge you'll start picking out words or patterns. The best thing about it is you can have it on in the background as you're doing other things, and unlike focused listening, you needn't feel frustrated about not being able to understand it all (or at all, depending on your level).

Advertisement