Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Windows & Doors

Options
  • 16-02-2023 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Im new to Boards but hoping someone might have recommendations/guidance re windows/door suppliers. I've gotten quotes from 4 companies so far for composite front door, french doors to back garden, two bay windows, two other large windows and 3 smaller bedroom windows. Quotes vary wildly and reviews are mixed or just hard to find. Would welcome any input from anyone who used any of the following.

Global Home Improvements (28k); McMahon & Nagle (27.5k); Senator (21k) and DK Windows (16.5k - this is double glazed. All others were for triple glazed).

All advice welcome 👍

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Welcome to Boards. As per the forum charter, we only allow recommendations by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

I just got new uPVC windows (x13 including a doubling sliding door replacing French doors), door arrives tomorrow.

I asked Rationel, who are barely 2km away, Munster Joinery, Fairco and a small one-man-shop for quotes, sending each the same measurements. 4 months later, neither of the first two have bothered quoting me. Fairco won out in the end, mainly because they've done all our neighbours' houses and came recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭MacDanger

What were the payment terms for your order? We're looking at ordering at the moment and they're looking for 50% upfront and 50% 2 weeks before installation - I'm fairly wary of handing over full payment before installation as we obviously have no leverage if anything isn't right afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

I had windows,doors done couple of months back. These prices seem dear to me. I would not pay full upfront. Also ask about the detail... how will they seal everything, who will get rid of waste old windows etc and also make sure to ask about making plaster work internal finish right. The guys I bought from left some pretty rough plaster work I had to make right myself. Also, if you have alarm sensors etc these will need to be removed. Make sure this is done carefully so can be put back. Just some advice from being through the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭MacDanger

This is a new build so it's a fairly straight forward job - no old windows to be removed, sealing done by builder, etc. Discussed it with bossman from the windows company and he wasn't for budging - offered to give them a bank draft in the evening once they were finished fitting and everything was okay but he said no, "if we start installing without being fully paid, we're giving you credit and we have a 'No credit' policy" so we pulled the plug on it.

Went with a different supplier who is 50% upfront and 50% upon installation so we're much happier with that, esp when you read the thread on here about Signature Windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭society4

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I used Fairco as well. Extremely happy with the quality of the windows. There were a couple of very minor issues after installation but they were quick enough to come back to resolve them. I'd recommend them based on my experience

Advertisement