Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App to automate zigbee light disco

Options
  • 15-02-2023 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I installed 2 RGBCCT strips around the top of the ceiling in a new extension. They are controlled by two separate zigbee 3 controllers, so they show up as two lights in the HUE app. Most of the time the lights are set to a warm white, but the kids love having them change colours for a disco. With the hue app we're able to group the two lights, and drag them around the colour wheel to get the desired effect, but that's obviously a pain! I've downloaded a good few different apps that claim to do what I want, but none have worked so far. Anyone know of a good app I should try?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

I had this setup and recently ripped it out......

I replaced it with WS2815 strips (12v and less sensitive to voltage drop).

Importantly these strips are individually addressable.... I.e. each led can be a different colour....

Combine these with a WLED controller (I went with Athom's ESP32 based one) and you have way more options.

My 2 boys love the rainbow runner preset that goes around the ceiling of the extension.

WLED integrates in to Home Assistant and has its own app so it's been perfect for me.

Scripts etc to loop over colours with the ZigBee controller never worked properly for me and I much prefer multiple colours at the same time than the whole thing a single colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'll second WLED - I just played with it last week.

Standalone, it's got lots of features, but you can add to it very easily. Super utility.

I think WLED works with both regular and individually addressable RGB strips though.

You'd be able to swap to them controller wise and keep the strips most likely.... And then could consider switch to individually addressable down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thanks for the replies. Wripping it out isn't an option - literally just installed, and the strips are perfect for everything outside of the disco scenario! The fact that the hue app is able to control them well via the colour wheel would make me think there must be a way to automate it. FYI, these are the controllers in place - I could stomach switching those if needed: https://lucasled.ie/zigbee-3-0-led-strip-controller-rgb-cct-miboxer-wifi-smart-lighting-system-2-4g-wireless-fut039z-upgraded-version

Watched a couple of WLED videos there - pity I didn't know about those before I bought all the stuff I currently have. Maybe I'll change it up in a year or so when I'm more likely to get buy in from the other half!

In the meantime, I tried a couple more apps, and the "iLightShow" seems to have a decent music sync option which works with the non-hue bulbs.

Thanks again for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

There's a Hue Disco app on android which I've used for about 5 minutes and seemed to do exactly what you think it would!

Yeah, that seems to be one of the more popular ones, but didn't work well in my case.

I'd suggest get WLED controllers now.... At least then you are ready to go if / when you want to swap the strip...

What's the advantage of do that at this stage? Just trying to understand the pros/cons.

You get used to the WLED app and aren't reliant on hue hub to use the lights. Although you'll need to see if there's controllers that do both regular RGB like you have and RGBIC.... I'm not 100% on it.

• Advertisement

I might dip my toe in the WLED water for one of the kids rooms or something, and take it from there. Appreciate the input.

Advertisement