Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Hard Drive Data Retrieval

Options
  • 15-02-2023 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I have an old hard drive removed from an old comp I'd like to have a look at what's on it. Can you advice the easiest way to do this?

Make/ Model: WD2500AAJS-60B4A0

https://harddiskdirect.com/wd2500aajs-60b4a0-wd-desktop-hard-drive.html

I see external cases online but not sure if these a make/ manufacturer specific or generic? Not looking to spend a ton here as its just a few photographs I'm hoping to find.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You don't need an actual case, just a generic USB to SATA adapter, anything will do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's just a plain SATA drive, just about any desktop can access it. What computer did you intend to use to access it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Thanks. I was looking to connect it to a laptop, dont use a desktop computer currently. Would sata to USB work that way? Power source?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If it's just a one-off to extract files, you could just ask someone with a desktop to plug it in and grab the stuff off it.

But otherwise, yes, a SATA to USB adapter would do. The one's intended for the higher power draw of a 3.5 inch drive tend to provide an extra power source to accommodate them.

Thanks. Yeah it will just be a once off. Connecting to a desktop, do you mean internal connection as in take the desktop apart and hook it up that way?

• Advertisement

It's just matter of plugging in the SATA data cable, and the SATA power cable, and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Just chanced upon this so apologies for hijacking.

I've 2 old laptops with screen issues. One I can plug in to an external monitor but the other won't load.

I just googled the Sata thingee there. Is it just a case of opening laptop, finding hard drive and removing? How does one actually remove the hard drive? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Thanks, ill see what what my friend thinks. Are most desktops able to do this and would this mean that it boots from the WD harddrive, last I remember it's windows XP on that harddrive.

Just about every desktop for the last 20 years will have spare SATA ports, unless it's something weird like a NUC or other such tiny computers. And you can set which drive is the one to boot from. Windows XP would choke on a modern machine anyway, the standards have changed to much since it's time.

Generally yes, they'd use 2.5 inch SATA drives. You may to check the specs before committing to anything. There's been laptops with soldered on flash storage, or if they're newer they could use m.2 drives instead. There's still options in that scenario though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement