Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No PIR's = no garda response?

Options
  • 14-02-2023 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Getting a full alarm system cameras etc...no motion detectors in the house tho. Hate them. The monitoring company are saying fine but there will be no garda response due to the fact we have no motion detectors or pir's....is this true? The cameras are evidence enough if someone broke in...

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That is a strange one!

Depending on how they are setup, your cameras should be able to act as a motion sensor. Battery powered cameras actually work in the exact same way as a traditional motion sensor, a PIR detects motion and switches on the camera and starts recording and should be able to send a movement detected notification.

Alternatively fully wired and powered cameras can detect movement via image recognition.

I’m guessing that it maybe a limitation of either your alarm system or the monitoring companies back end to not work properly with the cameras like this.

Id shop around for a different company and/or alarm system.

BTW, no the Gardaí don’t require a motion sensor. What they require is two sensors to be triggered, so that could be a door sensor and a motion sensor or two door sensors. Of course a visual confirmation of a burglary will get an even faster response, it sounds more like a case that the monitoring company isn’t going to look at your cameras, unless two sensors trigger in the first place.

Personally I just do self monitoring. If my cameras show a burglary, I’ll call the Gardai myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Your monitoring company are correct, they will need a confirmed alarm as per the Garda Policy

They will respond to a panic alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Feets

Thats what I think too. Its not like they wont come.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I mean clearly his monitoring company are not correct, from the linked document:

“A verified alarm is one that is verified by the activation of a secondary detection device as a sequential verified alarm, or by visual or audible inspection (including remote camera or microphone).”

The monitoring company claim that the Gardai won’t respond to cameras, which is clearly false.

The monitoring company also claim that they most have PIRs which is also false per the above document. The document only says a “secondary detection device”, without stating what type of device that may be. It doesn’t have to be a PIR.

Also importantly notice the “or” in the above statement. Visual or audible confirmation doesn’t require even having an alarm, just spotting a break in on camera is enough to get a Garda response. Places like building sites might just have cameras but obviously no alarm or alarm devices. A monitoring company spotting a burglar on a building site in the cameras can absolutely call for a Garda response.

The question in my mind is if the monitoring company have their own policy.

Also who installed the cameras and are they actually integrated into the alarm system? And who is monitoring them?

If they are cameras you install yourself and monitor yourself, then obviously you have to call the Gardai, the monitoring company won’t have access to the cameras and call the Gardai on your behalf.

if the cameras are fully integrated into the alarm and are monitored by the alarm company, then they should act the same as PIR’s and they should call the Gardai if they show a burglar.

One thing to watch out, I’ve seen some alarm companies sell alarm systems bundled with IP cameras, but the IP cameras aren’t actually integrated into the alarm, thus you have to monitor them yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Where are the cameras being installed, internal or external? External cameras won't be sequential to the alarm activation. They will have activated before the alarm and won't prove that there is someone in the house. Will the alarm company be able to access internal cameras to verify someone is inside if they don't have a motion sensor to trigger the alarm?

If there is nothing inside the house to confirm that there is actually someone inside I can see why the security company said that the Gardai won't respond.

A contact sensor on an internal door would be a secondary device which would verify someone is inside and is sequential to the alarm activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭pah

The Gardaí just need the monitoring company to report the alarm to them as a verified alarm. The Guards don't ask how many sensors are going off or how the verification is performed.

Advertisement