Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Council General Operative Interview

Options
  • 14-02-2023 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Young lad here interviewing for a general operative position with a County Council. Very nervous. I'm studying about the Council online, new projects etc. but can anyone give me some advice on likely interview questions? What areas/facts should I know about? What might impress them? Any and all help appreciated. Really need the job and don't want to make a fool of myself at interview.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Do you know someone working in the Council? Thats how you get a job there. Especially the general operatives, you see they have fathers, wives, brothers etc all working there and thats how they got in. Same with post office and fire brigade as well, its all who you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 comicromance

I don't know anyone I'm afraid. I read on the application that there is no canvassing allowed so I'm sure that it's not about who you know these days. I hope so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RJellybean

I can't offer you much but I would make sure to know the name of the Mayor, the number of councilors and what they do. I would also read any local newspapers they are usually a good source of information of what the council are doing in the local area. During the interview don't be afraid to say "I don't know" if you are not sure of something, the interview board will just move on to another question. Might sound stupid but make sure you dress smartly, you would be amazed and the number of people who turn up for interviews wearing dirty work gear.

Best of luck with the Interview

Thank you for the lovely message RJellybean. I appreciate your kindness and advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

That’s helpful …. not!! Best of luck with the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yes, everything Jellybean said.

Definitely looking at the CC website will be helpful, as it will give you a view on some of the different departments. I have no idea what a general operative does unfortunately, but hopefully they will have outlined some of the duties, so you will have some idea - focus on any information they have given you and try and find out about that.

Wish you all the best with the interview. Let us know how you got on!

Thanks C3PO and kathleen37. I will report back. Might be of use to people in the future applying for these roles.

Advertisement